UW women survive late Indiana rally

Once again the Wisconsin women?s basketball team made fans hold their breath, going down to the wire against Indiana at the Kohl Center Sunday.

UW, however, would not let their second straight home game slip away amid an opponent?s comeback. The Badgers (9-15, 3-11) got some great defensive stops in the final minutes and mustered just enough offense to hold off a pesky rally by the Hoosiers (11-15, 4-11) 66-62.

With the win, the Badgers avoided their seventh consecutive loss and gave themselves something to smile about heading into the final week of the regular season.

One player who was all smiles was sophomore forward Jordan Wilson. Wilson toppled her previous career-high of 15 points by scoring 24 points on 8-12 shooting and added 10 rebounds en route to her third double-double of the season.

?Our kids really wanted this one,? UW head coach Lisa Stone said. ?All we ran was a simple quick hit [offense] and Jordan inside is what made it work. I?m very proud of her. She made the big shots in a timely manner.?

Wilson made several scores with her running left-handed hook shot that Indiana could not contest. Wilson also did not shy away from contact as she went to the free throw line 14 times and hit eight. Wisconsin senior center Emily Ashbaugh added 16 points, while guard Ashley Josephson rounded out the double digit scoring with 14, including four for five from three point range.

The trio scored all but 12 of the Badgers? points and each were involved in pivotal runs that allowed Wisconsin to build a double digit lead. It was apparent Wisconsin looked to go inside early, as Ashbaugh scored the Badgers? first five point points and gave Wisconsin an early 5-4 lead. From that point Wisconsin went on an 18-5, run led by two three-point baskets from Josephson, and a variety of post moves from Wilson and Ashbaugh.

Lello Gebisa, who sat out of Wisconsin?s last game against Penn State due to an ankle injury sustained in the Iowa game, finished off the run with an old-fashioned three point play to give the Badgers a 23-9 lead halfway through the first half, prompting a timeout from Indiana head coach Kathi Bennett. Gebisa finished with six points, while playing 17 minutes.

Wisconsin grabbed its biggest lead at 34-18 off another Josephson three, but Indiana got eight points from reserve guard Annika Boyd in the final six minutes to go into halftime trailing 37-26.

In the second half Indiana continued to chip away at the lead and got it within six and five several times, but each time Wisconsin countered to push the led back to ten, the last time coming off a Jordan Wilson basket with 4:42 remaining.

Indiana was ready for one final push and used a 13-5 run to come within 64-62 with just over two minutes left, thanks to three-pointers from junior forward Jenny DeMuth and sophomore guard Cyndi Valentin.

After a missed layup by Wisconsin?s Stephanie Rich hit the bottom of the backboard, Indiana had a chance to tie or give themselves their first lead of the game. Wisconsin though was not about to let another home game slip from its grasp and began to step up its defense. With the game tied, Indiana?s leading scorer DeMuth drove to the basket, but was called for the offensive foul with 1:20 left. Two missed free throws by Jordan Wilson still gave the Hoosiers another opportunity to make the home team pay.

Valentin?s jumper would not find the basket however, and Indiana was forced to foul. Wisconsin sophomore forward Kjersten Bakke hit one of two free throws and Indiana still had a chance to tie. DeMuth though missed a three-pointer from the top of the key with four seconds left and Wilson then nailed a free throw to put the game out of reach. Indiana was led by Valentin, who scored 21 points while DeMuth added 18. The duo also went a combined 18 of 21 from the charity stripe.

Indiana had no answer for Wisconsin?s post players who drew 17 fouls on Indiana?s frontcourt. Two Hoosier post players would foul out trying to contain Wilson, Ashbaugh, and Lello Gebisa down low.

Badger point guard Stephanie Rich had only two points, but compensated by dishing out a game-high nine assists and collecting six rebounds. Rich?s passing ability in particular is what allowed the Badger post players to dominate the lane for the majority of the game.

The Badgers shot 48.9 percent for the game and 50 percent in the first half, allowing them a double digit cushion. Indiana could only muster 34.6 percent from the field.

UW head coach Lisa Stone was especially pleased that the Badgers found their rhythm early. Wisconsin had its lowest point total of season against the Hoosiers back in January with 39, but already had 37 at halftime.

?I really did make that reference,? Stone said. ?I just told our kids, that game was moving for us the whole point of our season offensively. We are an improved basketball team, and to sit up here with a ?W? is certainly a lot more refreshing.?