Stone in search of a road win

Fresh off a victory over Big Ten conference cellar-dweller Northwestern, Wisconsin (8-9, 2-5) now takes to the road in search of its first conference road win against Purdue (16-2, 6-1).

It will be much easier said than done for the Badgers to leave West Lafayette with a win. The Boilermakers, currently ranked sixth in the nation in the ESPN/USA Today poll and fifth by the AP, will present a much stiffer challenge than 11th-place Northwestern. Over the years, Purdue has been one the Big Ten’s best, winning seven Big Ten championships and four Big Ten tournament titles. They are the only Big Ten team to bring home a National Championship in 1999 and also finished as runner-up in 2001.

Purdue has won six games in a row since opening the Big Ten season with a loss to Penn State at home, 47-42.

The Boilermakers’ only other loss came in their second game of the season to Duke, currently ranked No. 2, 93-63. Purdue has notched several impressive wins already this season, beating Kansas State and Notre Dame in non-conference action, and then handing Minnesota their first loss of the season over a week ago at home after winning in a hostile environment at Michigan State.

Purdue has been dominant in Mackey Arena under current head coach Kristy Curry, going 63-5 during her tenure. Curry has accomplished all this with a rotation that does not have a player over 6-foot-1. The Badgers will need to feed the post often and establish an early inside game if they are to win on the Boilermakers’ home floor.

“The tradition that Purdue has built is amazing,” UW head coach Lisa Stone said. “Going to Mackey Arena is a place that we look forward to going to. It welcomes the Gebisas [Ebba and Lello] back home. Hopefully that will help spearhead some things as well. So a homecoming of sorts everywhere we go and an opportunity for us to see if we can steal one on the road.”

Playing on the road in the Big Ten has been quite unsuccessful for the Badgers so far this season. Wisconsin, 0-3 in conference road games, has been pummeled by Ohio State, Indiana and Iowa by an average of 20 points. Ranked teams are also not the Badgers’ forte; the Badgers are 0-3 against ranked opponents thus far.

“It’s something we don’t fear, but it’s an opportunity for us to raise our bar,” Stone said. “We’ve got to raise our bar. These are programs that have been at the top of the Big Ten, and that’s where we want to be. So to be there, we’ve got to play them and put ourselves in a position to be successful.”

Purdue may not the have height, but they definitely have the talent to compete for not only another Big Ten title, but contend for their second national championship in five years. Relying on experience has been an integral part of the Boilermakers’ success.

The Boilermakers are led by two-time All-Big Ten and honorable mention Kodak All-American Shereka Wright. Wright currently ranks fifth in the Big Ten in scoring with 19.7 points per game. Even at 5-foot-10, Wright is also one of the conference’s best in rebounding, pulling down 6.3 boards per game.

Wright uses her slashing ability to get to the free-throw line and makes opponents pay, scoring 29 percent of her points there. In Purdue’s victory over Minnesota, Wright connected on 12 of 13 from the charity stripe.

Wright is by far Purdue’s most consistent player. The senior forward has been Purdue’s leading scorer in 16 of 18 games this season and has scored 20 or more points nine times.

While Wright is what makes Purdue go, other players are no strangers to partaking in the Boilermakers’ success.

Senior point guard Erika Valek directs the Boilermaker offense in dishing out 4.3 assists per game. Valek also averages 8.7 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game. Backcourt mate Beth Jones is the Boilermakers’ 3-point shooting specialist, leading the Big Ten by hitting 50 percent of her attempts.

Purdue junior forward Emily Heikes has been going up against taller players all season and will not be intimidated by the matchup problems Wisconsin presents. Heikes ranks eighth in the Big Ten in rebounding with 6.8 per game and adds 7.4 points to the Boilermaker offense.

“They play very well. Defensive-oriented, offensive-oriented … they’ve got the whole package,” coach Stone said.

With the Badgers edging out the Boilermakers in height, Purdue will be forced to pack the middle. This could give Wisconsin’s backcourt of Stephanie Rich and Ashley Josephson more touches, and ultimately more shots. However, Purdue’s defense is the stingiest in the Big Ten, allowing opponents to score just 53.6 points per game. Opponents aren’t any more effective beyond the arc, mustering just 28 percent as a result of the Boilermakers’ swarming defense.

“I’m going to expect a double team on the post, simply because that’s where we want to go,” Stone said. “We can’t be afraid to throw it in to the low post, draw the help and then see if we can find some open shooters.”

Purdue leads the all-time series with Wisconsin 31-13. The Badgers have not beaten the Boilermakers since the 2001-2002 season and have not won in Mackey Arena since 1984.

“We have to go on the good and not look at maybe what has happened bad in the past,” Stone said.