Badgers face month off

Following a series split with No. 4-ranked Minnesota-Duluth, the Wisconsin women’s hockey team will have a month to recuperate before starting the second half of the season in mid-January. With the first half of the season over, the Badgers find themselves ranked No. 5 in the nation and sitting second in the WCHA, three points behind leader Minnesota.

Following the winter break, the Badgers will travel to California to play a two-game series with Northeastern to open second-half play.

The following weekend, the Badgers will host Minnesota-Duluth to start the second half of the WCHA season in a big series for both teams. The two-game series will likely determine who has the upper hand in the battle for the fourth and final spot in this year’s Frozen Four. The winner will also have the best shot at knocking Minnesota from the top of the WCHA standings.

“There isn’t a lot of space up at the top for people to sneak into,” coach Mark Johnson said. “There’s just room for four teams, so when you play these teams above you, you have to do well.”

The Badgers will have to keep themselves mentally sharp over the next month, as no games and fewer practices could very well leave the team a little rusty when it starts play again. Being winners in eight of its last nine games, Wisconsin would probably rather keep playing and ride its hot streak.

“It’s a tough break, because we’re in good shape,” Johnson said, “We’re moving well; the kids are in good condition, then all of the sudden you lose them for a month.”

Johnson did point out that most of the other teams in the WCHA are in the same position, so the month off is not a detriment to only the Badgers.

With half the season yet to be played, the Badgers find themselves in excellent shape. Wisconsin is certainly within striking distance of the top, and a couple big second-half wins could easily propel it into the Frozen Four.