Bernstein does dirty work for Badgers

Boasting a 1,000-yard rusher in each of the past 10 seasons, Wisconsin football has gained a name for itself as one of the nation’s elite programs in the running game.

And a key reason for UW’s success on the ground has been due to the traditionally strong play at the fullback position. Over the course of the streak, Chad Kuhns, Cecil Martin and others have helped pave the way for a Heisman Trophy winner, a Maxwell Award recipient and two Big Ten players of the year.

Although it appears that UW’s run of 1,000-yard rushers will come to a close at season’s end, Matt Bernstein has effectively carried on the tradition of hard-nosed Wisconsin fullbacks in 2003.

He hasn’t received much of the praise for the Badgers’ formidable ground game this season, but the Scarsdale, N.Y., native’s dirty work has been vital to UW’s success.

“I like the dirty work; it’s enjoyable,” Berstein said.

“You know someone’s got to do it. I know that me and the linemen, we enjoy it. We like being in there, you know, running down there trying to blast people. It’s not the most glorious position. People don’t watch to watch you play, but it’s still fun to do. And when the little guys score, you know you did something right.”

Bernstein has been doing things right since he made his collegiate debut in the Badgers’ 2002 opener against Fresno State, a game in which he carried the ball five times for 23 yards and two touchdowns. The performance marked the first time a Badger ran for two touchdowns in his first game since Aaron Stecker accomplished the feat in 1995.

Although he has yet to score this season, Bernstein has played an instrumental role in, among other things, Wisconsin’s passing game. He has already picked up a career-high 88 receiving yards, 28 of which came on a big play in UW’s matchup with Purdue.

He would however gain more attention for his actions on the sidelines during the Badgers loss to the Boilermakers than for his impressive grab.

Following a seemingly routine hit, Bernstein vomited on the sidelines, and the UW sophomore has been fielding questions about it ever since. He doesn’t understand why everybody thinks it’s such an intriguing story, though.

“I just threw up … if my family was there, they would’ve cheered,” Bernstein said. “It’s good luck. Well, it was good luck until we lost. I threw up in high school a bunch. It’s just after running a lot and being in the game. I mean the hit was nothing special; the guy went low on me. I don’t know why everyone is making such a big deal. It’s not a big deal, it’s throwing up.”

While throwing up may not be a big deal, Bernstein’s play on the field has been.

He has laid a number of punishing blocks not only in UW’s offensive attack, but on its kick-return unit as well — which, according to Bernstein, is “another dirty-work job that no one wants to do except the 11 people out there.”

Despite being a force to be reckoned with on the field, Bernstein considers himself to be a shy, mellow guy off of it — a characteristic that has helped him adjust to the move from New York to Madison.

“[Madison] is just a mellow place,” Bernstein said. “It’s a lot different. It’s nice to go from a lot larger to a lot smaller. It also helps that my brother is here. I like the Midwest differently (than New York). When I go home, it’s always going into the city and getting crazy. But the Midwest is a lot of fun. It’s a lot of chill time.”

After starting the season 6-1, the Badgers have suffered a defeat in each of their past three games. According to Bernstein, the team is now focused on making it to the best possible bowl game by winning their final two regular-season games.

“We’re mad that we lost games, obviously … but offensively we’re happy where we are. We just need to win out,” he said. “We play as a team, and we love each other. We need to play for the seniors now. We need to be 8-4.”

Picking up a victory against both Michigan State and Iowa will be easier said than done, however. And Bernstein’s dirty work will undoubtedly play a role if the Badgers end up winning out.