Badgers swept by Gophers

In a series that coach Mark Johnson characterized as a “measuring-stick weekend”, the Wisconsin women’s hockey team (4-2-0, 0-2-2) failed to capitalize on numerous chances, falling to the No. 1 ranked Minnesota Golden Gophers (4-0-0, 4-0-0) twice — 3-0 on Saturday and 3-1 in the series finale on Sunday.

Trying to avoid a sweep Sunday afternoon, the Badgers came out, skated hard, and for the most part outplayed the Gophers in the first period. Unfortunately, Minnesota got on the board first with a goal that deflected off a Badger defenseman and past freshman Christine Dufour. The goal was credited to Minnesota’s Chelsey Brodt.

“As deflating as that is, when they drop the puck we have to be ready. You can’t sit back and feel sorry for yourself. We came out and played hard after that,” Johnson said about his team’s morale after the fluke first goal.

Minnesota netted the only goal of the second period when they found the net on the power play. Gopher forward Kelly Stephens threaded a perfect pass through the crease and found leading scorer Krissy Wendell a step in front of the Badger defense for an easy tap in. Natalie Darwitz was also awarded an assist on the play, pushing her point streak to 19 straight games.

Wisconsin kept getting good chances but could not dent Minnesota’s two goal lead until 17:41 in the third period when freshman Sara Bauer scored her first career goal for the Badgers, giving the team some hope with just over two minutes to play. Amy Vermeulen recorded the loan assist on the play.

The Badgers pulled Dufour for the final minute of the game, hoping to get the late equalizer, but it was the Gophers who scored the game’s final goal as La Toya Clarke scored on the empty net to push the lead to 3-1. Darwitz earned her second assist of the game on the play and her fifth point of the weekend.

Wisconsin was unable to get a win, but Johnson was still happy with the effort.

“It was a good game; good things came of it,” Johnson said. “We’re a young team, and I like the way we’re growing right now.”

Saturday the Badgers were handed their first loss of the season by a score of 3-0 by the Gophers. In an evenly played game, the play of Minnesota’s special teams was the difference.

After a scoreless first period, the Gophers capitalized on all three of their power-play opportunities in the second period.

UM sophomore Darwitz netted the first two goals; she had the chance to tap in a rebound off the shot of Danielle Ashley with 5:19 remaining in the period. Her second goal game on a wrist shot from between the circles ten minutes later. The Gophers closed out the period by scoring on a long slap shot by defenseman Lyndsay Wall.

Wisconsin had plenty of chances to get back into the game, but Minnesota goalie Jody Horak was up to the task. The Badgers peppered her with 27 shots on goal, including two breakaway chances, but were unable to beat the Gopher net minder. Wisconsin also failed to convert any of their four power play chances.

Johnson liked what he saw out of his team but knew that giving Minnesota too many chances on the power play would lead to poor results for the Badgers.

“They have the skill where if you blink, especially on the power play, it can be deadly,” Johnson said. “We had a little bit of a blink there.”