Rushing does not return to form for UW

With the return of Anthony Davis to the fold against Purdue, Wisconsin had hopes of producing an even-stronger ground attack after punishing the nation’s top-ranked run defense in Ohio State.

After missing most of four weeks with an ankle injury, Davis played the entire game Saturday, recording 97 yards on 18 carries, including a 28-yard touchdown run for the Badgers’ first score of the game. But Davis had a costly fumble in the fourth quarter and he never seemed to find any rhythm in Wisconsin’s 26-23 loss to Purdue.

“I think there was a little bit of rust, just being out for so long, getting back in there,” Davis said. “It probably took me a little while to get back in the flow of things. It did feel good to be back out there. I’ve never missed so many football games, so it felt good to be able to get out there and do something.”

The Badgers did not get much help from reserve tailbacks Dwayne Smith and Booker Stanley, who combined for only one yard rushing on four carries.

Many of the Badgers’ rushing problems might be cited to the offensive line that had trouble stopping the speedy Purdue defensive front four, particularly defensive end Shaun Phillips, who seemed to have his way with UW right tackle Mike Lorenz.

“Their defense, those guys, their numbers are legitimate,” Alvarez said. “Give them credit, that’s a good defense.”

Lewis has career day

Senior linebacker Alex Lewis was near unstoppable for the Badgers Saturday when lining up as either a stand-up pass rusher or down lineman when the Badgers moved to nickel coverage with an added cornerback.

The senior totaled six-and-a-half tackles for a loss, including five sacks and forcing a fumble that made its way into the hands of fellow linebacker Jeff Mack, who took the ball 55 yards for the Badgers’ second touchdown of the game.

Lewis was sidelined temporarily in the third quarter after reportedly hyper-extending his left elbow, but after having it taped he returned to the field and finished the game.

Lewis was unavailable for comment after the game, apparently due to his injury.

Injury report

Jim Sorgi was sidelined in the third quarter after having his left knee rolled back on a running play designed for the quarterback. Sorgi was beat up most of the day, being sacked four times and taking countless hits after throws and on other quarterback keepers.

The senior team captain was carried off the field unable to initially put weight on his leg, but after having it taped, he was seen jogging and jumping around on the sidelines, testing he knee out. Ultimately, Sorgi was held out and watched the rest of Saturday’s game from the sideline standing with crutches. Sorgi was scheduled to undergo an MRI to determine the severity of his injury, and his status will be addressed during Monday’s weekly press conference.

Safety Ryan Aiello continued to play with a cast on his right hand in protection of his broken right thumb.

Sophomore Brandon Williams was run over after supplying a block for Anthony Davis on a running play in the third quarter. Davis landed on top of Williams, who was slow to rise and made his way to the sideline, where team doctors proceeded to evaluate his condition. Williams missed the rest of the series but returned to record two receptions for 17 yards. Williams was the only Badger other than Lee Evans to have more than one catch. Evans caught three passes for 76 yards.