Volleyball prepares for Big Ten

This weekend the UW women’s volleyball team begins Big Ten play as they host Northwestern (9-3) Friday and Illinois (9-1) Saturday. The Badgers are ranked No. 23 nationally and have a record of 8-3 heading into conference play.

Last weekend the Badgers took No.5 Georgia Tech into the fifth game of their match but couldn’t seal the victory. The match proved that the young Badgers can compete with the nation’s best.

“Coming off of last weekend’s tournament, [it] showed the team what level of play we are at and it makes the team excited heading into the Big Ten [season],” head coach Pete Waite said.

Preparing for the start of Big Ten play everyday of practice this week, coach Waite had the players prepare defensive strategies for the league’s top players, but kept the practices as routine as possible. Throughout the week Waite maintained his focus more on his team than on the opposition.

“We just want to be a great ball-controlled team, to serve really tough and to keep them (opposing teams) out of their offensive,” Waite said. “If we can do that I think we have the talent to win.”

Leading the Badgers into the heart of the season are senior co-captains Morgan Shields and Lisa Zukowski. UW will also be counting on strong supporting roles from junior hitters Jill Odenthal and Marian Weidner. This season the Badgers enter the Big Ten season with a much younger and inexperienced team, but remain confident that anyone in the lineup can come up with big plays.

Although senior setter Morgan Shields broke her wrist two weeks ago she has continued to play each game with 100 percent mentally. Without the use of her serving hand, Shields has practiced her serves with particular vigor leading up to the Big Ten season. The Badgers will be counting on her for court leadership if they hope to come away with a set of victories this weekend.

“I like dealing with challenges and it has been fun working with my left hand and thinking about new hand positions,” Shields said. “It makes me slow down and think about the game.”

UW will need to focus defensively against Northwestern’s Erika Lange who recorded 4.27 kills per game in 2002. Sophomore outside hitters Iwona Lodzik and Christie Gardner will also be focal points for the Badger defense as they look to get off to a fast start in 2003. With struggles early in the season, the Badgers’ underlining keys to victory for the weekend will be getting back to the basics and making crisp serves and clean passes.

“It is an easy game of serving and passing, and these will be the most important elements for the rest of the season,” Shields said.

Overall, the team is excited about starting the Big Ten season with two home matches. Illinois comes to Madison Saturday behind the offensive attack of senior middle blockers Lisa Argabright and Shelly O’Bryan who combined for almost five kills a game in 2002.

“The team is positive about the upcoming season, and we are starting to see our potential,” Lisa Zukowski said. “We worked hard in the preseason and now we are focused in on the Big Ten and we are playing for something that we want to go after.”

The Badgers will be tested this weekend by two teams in Northwestern and Illinois who are rising through the Big Ten ranks. With both teams failing to post above .500 win marks in the Big Ten a year ago they will be looking to get off to a fast start this season.

“It is just Big Ten play, and this is what they have been working for the last month to get ready for, and I think we have put together a pretty good package and the team is ready to play,” coach Waite said.

Every match from here on out will be huge for the Badgers, and the Big Ten is never an easy conference, but with a great start to the preseason the Badgers are ready to continue their momentum and prove to the Big Ten that they are a tough contender.