Classic soccer returns to UW

Coming off its dominating 3-0 win over Marquette last Tuesday night, UW’s women’s soccer team enters this weekend’s Rocky Rococo Classic looking to continue its hottest start since 1999.

UW (4-1) takes on Iowa State (2-1) in a match Friday night that promises to be a physical matchup for both teams. Last weekend the Cyclones lost their first match of the season, a 2-0 decision to DePaul. Despite out-shooting DePaul 17-15, Iowa State was unable to get on the scoreboard. The Cyclones were led on offense by sophomore Kristina Baumann and freshman Kate Kirwan. The two forwards recorded 10 of Iowa State’s 17 shots, but as a team the Cyclones only managed nine shots on goal. Down 2-0 early in the second half against DePaul, Iowa State managed to mount a number of offensive attacks, but inaccuracy near the net cost the Cyclones their third straight victory of the season. Kirwan has managed to put only 29 percent of the shots on goal while the teams average is just over 42 percent.

Iowa State’s offensive attack comes to Madison led by Kirwan, Baumann and freshman Erin McDowell, who all have seven shots on the season. Sophomore forward Amy Flores leads the team in points with four, scoring two goals on six shots this season. Flores was named the Offensive Most Valuable Player in the team’s Arizona Invitational title run after scoring two goals against host Arizona. The only other goal scored by the Cyclones in 2003 was netted by defenseman Arlene Samuel.

Samuel represents the strength of the Cyclone defense in just her second year at Iowa State, possessing both goal scoring and defensive ability. Samuel’s leadership role will be tested against the experienced Badger offense as it consists primarily of underclassmen.

In net for the Cyclones is senior goalkeeper Beth Chapman, who has played every minute this season and has yielded three goals in 14 shots. Her record is 2-1, including a shutout win over Weber State in the final of the Arizona Invitational.

The Nebraska Cornhuskers (2-2) represent UW’s second foe of the weekend in a game at 1 p.m. Sunday afternoon. After starting the season 2-0, the Huskers are trying to recover from two consecutive losses to top ten programs. Nebraska lost 3-1 to No. 10 Duke before getting shutout against top-ranked North Carolina.

With a 2-0 lifetime record against UW, Nebraska is looking at the matchup as a great opportunity to gain experience and confidence for its younger players. UW played Nebraska last season at the Adidas Invite in Lincoln in a game that the Huskers dominated for a 1-0 victory.

The youthful Huskers have offered a balanced offensive attack so far, with points distributed amongst six players.

The freshmen are leading the way as forward Jessie Bruch leads the team with four points on two goals, and offensive contributors Ashley Tenn and Brittany Timko have each also tallied a goal this season. Junior Jenna Cooper has offered the veteran leadership the Huskers need on offense. Cooper has fired six shots this year, but her ability to spot the open player (three assists on the year) is her biggest attribute to the Huskers.

Junior Brooke Bredenberg and freshman Katie Wright have split time in goal for Nebraska this season, with Bredenberg receiving a majority of the playing time. The more experienced goalkeeper has made 17 saves on 20 shots this year (850 save percentage) and recorded both of the Husker’s wins. Wright has struggled in her first year as a collegiate athlete giving up six goals on 22 shots (.727 percentage).

The Badgers will enter this weekend’s matches after an inspired second half against Marquette Tuesday in which the team added two goals in its shutout victory.

“I think we played better in the second half today,” head coach Dean Duerst said. “They showed the type of team that we want to be. We played a complete 90-minute game.

Leading that second half charge was freshman Kara Kabellis who posted four points in the games and now has six points on the season. Kabellis is joined in the Badger offense by co-captain Jenny Kundert who leads the team in goals (4), assists (3) and points (11), is currently on a three game goal scoring streak. Kundert and sophomore Katy Lindunmuth look to take advantage of the youthful defenses they will see this weekend.

In net for the Badgers this weekend will be freshman Stefani Szczechowski who has started every game for the Badgers this year. Szczechowski has been stellar for UW so far this season, recording her first career shutout against Marquette.

The defense in front of the freshman keeper has been instrumental to her success, as she has only faced 23 shots through five games. Led by senior Elly Paterson the Badger defense has allowed just six goals to be scored on UW all season.

The Rocky Rococo classic begins for Wisconsin with its matchup at 7:30 tonight against Iowa State and concludes with a 1 p.m. game Sunday against Nebraska.