Penney strikes deal with Timberwolves

Kirk Penney, a former University of Wisconsin basketball standout, has signed a free-agent deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Minnesota’s general manager, Kevin McHale, announced the deal last Friday. Per team policy, the terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Penney, who was not selected in the June NBA draft, signed on to play for the Timberwolves’ summer league team in July. Penney went on to average 11.4 points, 2.0 rebounds and 1.4 assists in an average of 18.6 minutes per game for the Wolves in summer-league play.

He ranked first on the squad in three-pointers made (seven) and second in field goals made (20) and steals (five). Penney scored 16 points July 10 against Miami and totaled 14 points and five rebounds July 11 against Cleveland.

Penney was a two-time first-team All-Big Ten selection and an honorable mention All-American as a senior. He finished as Wisconsin’s sixth all-time leading scorer and also second on the all-time list for three-pointers (217) and three-point attempts (561), third in games played (127) and sixth in minutes played (3,416). He was the first Badger since 1952 to earn consecutive first-team all-conference honors.

The Timberwolves did not sign their second-round selection, fellow All-Big Ten selection Rick Rickert, who left the University of Minnesota after his sophomore season. Rickert decided to play his basketball in Germany for the 2003-04 season.

The Dallas Mavericks’ Michael Finely is currently the only former Wisconsin Badger on an NBA roster.