Clarett suspension likely 6 games

Ohio State’s star running back, Maurice Clarett, has reportedly been handed a six-game suspension, according to sources close to the university. Earlier this summer, Norma C. McGill, a teaching assistant in OSU’s African-American studies department, released a statement to the New York Times accusing Clarett of academic misconduct. McGill, who recently met with NCAA officials and a university committee to discuss her statements, reported that Clarett and other members of the football team were provided with answers prior to exams, given oral exams and, in some cases, had test scores changed. After being held out of the team’s first 23 preseason practices, Clarett was cleared to practice earlier this week. An official decision as to his eligibility to play has not yet been made, however.

The length of Clarett’s suspension will likely be determined by his legal trouble as well.

Clarett filed a police report claiming that stereo equipment, clothing, cash and CDs valued at an excess of $10,000 had been stolen from his car. He has since admitted to exaggerating the value of what was stolen, and he has publicly apologized for embarrassing Ohio State. A decision in the case is still pending.

Jackson will not play in Michigan opener

Michigan defensive back Marlin Jackson will not play in the Wolverines’ season opener due to a “disciplinary action” taken by head coach Lloyd Carr. Jackson, the preseason Big Ten defensive player of the year, pleaded guilty last week to aggravated assault in a plea agreement with Washtenaw County prosecutors. Aggravated assault is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine. Sentencing in Jackson’s case is set for Sept. 11.

The charges stem from a fight Jackson was involved in during a June 1 house party. Shanin Farokhrny, also an MU student, has accused Jackson of hitting him in the right eye with a bottle.

Carr did not say whether Jackson’s suspension would be for more than one game.

Purdue ‘s Joey Harris ruled academically ineligible

Joey Harris, the Boilermakers’ leading rusher last season, was recently declared academically ineligible for the 2003 season. Harris, who compiled 1,115 rushing yards on a school-record 250 carries as a junior last year, needed to average a ‘B’ in three summer-school classes to remain eligible, according to Purdue sports information director Tom Schott.

Sophomore Brandon Jones, who rushed for nearly 700 yards last season, will likely replace Harris.