Badgers go wide

With the much heralded return of senior wideout Lee Evans and a host of other talented receivers returning to Wisconsin’s offense in 2003, this year’s Badgers are widely considered to not only have one of the best receiving corps in the Big Ten, but in the entire nation as well. Evans, whose 1,545 receiving yards set a Big Ten single-season record in 2001, missed all of last season due to a knee injury he sustained while making a catch in the Badgers’ 2002 spring game. Assuming Evans can return to his once explosive form, another dimension will be added to an already solid Wisconsin offense. And his performance on the field, coupled with his strong work ethic off it, could have a profound impact on the Badgers’ other talented, yet young receivers this season.

“[Evans] presence is big because he’s the record holder for the Big Ten conference,” said sophomore wide out Brandon Williams. “He’s arguably one of the best receivers in the nation right now. And to be able to play next to him and see the things that he does is just going to make you better as a player.”

Because of Evans’ absence from the lineup last season, a big play-making void was left at the receiving position in UW’s offensive attack. That void was quickly filled, however, by freshmen Brandon Williams and Jonathan Orr. Williams, who caught a UW-freshman-record 52 passes en route to second-team freshman All-American honors, proved himself to be one of the Big Ten’s most sure-handed pass catchers in 2003. Williams will be an integral part of this year’s passing game for Wisconsin, and he plans on living up to the expectations that have been placed on both himself and the receiving corps as a whole.

“We just want to live up to the standards that have been set for us,” Williams said. “If people say that we’re the best in the Big Ten, than we want to be the best in the Big Ten. If people say that we’re the best in the nation, than we want to be the best in the nation. We just want to do our best. And I feel that if we do our best … I think we will be at the top notch of college football.”

Making up the other half of UW’s record-breaking receiving duo during the Badgers’ 2002 campaign is Detroit, Mich., native Jonathan Orr. Last season Orr not only caught a school-record-tying eight touchdowns, he also compiled a UW-freshman-record 842 receiving yards. So, without Evans, the Badgers would still have a more than formidable receiving corps. One of the big questions surrounding this season’s Badger passing game, however, will be the effectiveness of junior wideout Darrin Charles. Although Charles’ 6-foot-6, 210-pound frame gives him a size advantage in nearly every matchup he’s presented with, a nagging ankle injury prevented him from having the breakout season people were expecting him to have in 2002.

Barring any lingering effects from the injury, however, Charles could have that breakout season this year. Last season, he caught a bowl-clinching 12-yard TD in the Badgers’ win over Minnesota but also made a crucial 28-yard reception on fourth-and-10 in the Alamo Bowl with less than a minute to go in regulation.

The potential for greatness is there. Between Charles’ quest to prove himself as a go-to threat, Orr and Williams looking to repeat their impressive freshman campaigns and Evans attempting to regain his All-American form of 2001, wins and losses could become secondary to achieving personal accomplishments. After all, putting up big numbers in the college game could turn into big dollars in the NFL or, at the very least, heightened national exposure.

According to Brandon Williams, this will not be an issue for the Badger wideouts this season, and the game plan will not change — regardless of who is or who isn’t putting up the big numbers.

“We’re not changing anything in our offense, and we’re not going to do anything differently,” Williams said. “If you’re open, you’re going to get the ball.”

This weekend, Badger fans will get their first opportunity to see Evans and the other talented UW receivers in action. On paper, they’re the best receiving corps in the Big Ten. This Saturday, they’ll take their first step towards proving it on the field.