Women’s soccer searching for spring success

The Wisconsin women’s soccer team was in San Diego over spring break, but the purpose of the visit was more business than pleasure.

The Badgers were in Southern California to play two games on their spring schedule, one against the WUSA’s San Diego Spirit and the other against the University of San Diego Toreros, as they prepare for next season.

Though UW dropped both games, 5-0 and 3-2 respectively, coach Dean Duerst is hoping his team can improve on its second-round exit in last year’s NCAA tournament.

“We’re definitely a team that fits into the top five in the [Big Ten], there’s no doubt about that,” Duerst said. “Can we get into the top spot? I think we have the talent and mentality to get us there. I think it’s going to be wide open.”

Last year’s club bounced back from a disappointing 5-11-3 effort in 2001 behind the strong play of midfielder Jenny Kundert to finish 13-9-3. Kundert tallied a team-best eight goals and 15 assists as the Badgers reached the Big Ten title game for the first time since 1996 and defeated Marquette before losing to the No. 5-ranked Pepperdine Waves in the NCAA tournament.

Madison will host the conference tournament this year, and Duerst would like to see his team win in its own backyard.

“Big Ten championships are fabulous to be a part of, and to be able to go after the championship in our own backyard will be incredibly exciting,” he said.

Wisconsin will have to overcome the loss of goalkeeper Kelly Conway, the team’s primary starter the last four years. The responsibility of filling her rather large shoes will fall to Lisa Mattiacci, who played three games last year, and incoming freshman Stefani Szczechowski.

Of Szczechowski, Duerst said, “She’s quick, she’s fast (and) she plays with the ball well. She’s very similar to Kelly Conway.”

In addition to Conway, UW will also be losing the player who was her co-captain last season, midfielder Lauren Schmidt.

The Badgers will look to their 11-member recruiting class, which includes defender Natalie Horton and midfielder Kara Kabellis, to fill the holes last year’s departing seniors left.

“Any time you get such a large class, they’re going to be an immediate challenge to our existing group,” Duerst said. “With such a large group, they’re going to really help us raise the competitiveness within the team and raise their standard of play overall.

“There are people with dynamic speed, people who really play their position well and play what we would say is our winning Wisconsin women’s soccer style.”

Spring games are helpful in figuring out the right on-field mix, and Duerst feels UW gained some valuable experience from its game against the professionals on the Spirit.

The Badgers fell behind 4-0 in the first half but stiffened and held San Diego to one goal in the second half.

“When you play a professional team, they teach you so many things,” Duerst said. “The way in which they prepare, their fitness level … playing all-out. We were able to match their physicalness, and we demonstrated the ability to concentrate and put a very strong second half together.”

A similar trend was apparent in the game against the Toreros, in which Wisconsin trailed 3-0 at halftime but battled back behind goals by Kundert and forward Amy Vermullen to lose by only a goal.

“As a team, we were relentless on goal and gave tremendous pressure,” Duerst said.

The team will wrap up its spring schedule with a game in Evanston against Northwestern April 26.