What’s in store for the Final Four?

We’re finally there. After a memorable March, we’ve spilled into April, and the college basketball field has been whittled down to four teams. Texas is the only No. 1 seed standing, but at this point seeding means nothing. Syracuse, Kansas, and Marquette are just as poised as the Longhorns to snag their place in the history books. Experienced seniors lead some teams while others are led with incredible talents. They’ve charged through their respective regions and now converge on New Orleans, where a new national champion will be crowned in the shadow of Bourbon Street and under the bright lights of the Superdome.

Marquette:

Junior Dwyane Wade made about as serious a statement as one can make in the Golden Eagles victory over Kentucky last weekend. The third triple-double in NCAA tournament history was a performance for the ages as the rest of the team was able to draw intensity and energy from Wade. He made phenomenal moves to the basket and was able to draw fouls and get to the line. Sophomore Travis Diener has slowed from his electric start to the tournament but is a more than capable point guard who can nail a jumper when asked to. Robert Jackson and Scott Merritt will be asked to guard Jayhawk senior Nick Collison. The fact is, when they’re on their game, Merritt and Jackson are quite effective on the defensive side of the ball. Jackson can load up the scoreboard as well, and his effectiveness in the post will have a lot to do with Marquette’s success. If freshman Steve Novak brings his shot with him to New Orleans, Tom Crean will have a potent offense to work with. Jitters may play a part in Saturday’s game, but Crean has had his team focused on the championship since the season began, and thus far the Golden Eagles have met the challenge.

Kansas:

Back-to-back trips to the Final Four are generally something a team can hang its hat on, but not for Roy Williams and Kansas. Anything short of a championship would be a disappointment. Kirk Hinrich and Nick Collison are a dominant pair of seniors, and like Juan Dixon and Lonny Baxter, the experienced duo brings leadership the other teams can’t claim. Hinrich can shoot from anywhere on the floor and has the ability to draw the defense out so he can feed Collison down low. Collison’s epic 33-point, 19-rebound performance against Duke was quite a show, but he fell into foul trouble against Arizona. With Marquette’s versatile offense, Collison can’t afford to spend large chunks of time on the bench again. Kansas needs to have all their cylinders running, with point guard Aaron Miles supplying sound distribution and Keith Langford or Jeff Graves adding enough to take the pressures off the big two. The Jayhawk role players need to step up for Williams, who will have a tough time designing schemes to stop Wade. Graves came up huge against Arizona, with Collison on the bench, but his averages suggest much less. Kansas has been impressive in beating both Duke and Arizona back-to-back last weekend, and the Jayhawks look to ride their seniors into the winner’s circle this weekend.

Syracuse:

Carmello. Simply Carmello. The freshman phenom has been a driving force behind the Orangemen all season. His 20 points and 10 rebounds proved enough to get around Oklahoma, but the star of that game was Jim Boeheim’s 2-3 zone defense that had the Sooners looking helpless. The success of the Orangemen against the Longhorns will depend again on the success of the zone, but T.J. Ford seems more than capable of handling even the toughest defenses. Syracuse is very young, and the team’s three leading scorers are underclassmen. Boeheim, however, has been here before, and he can impart his knowledge to his players, who have certainly played beyond their years this March. Carmello Anthony needs to get set in the post early if Syracuse is to make a game of this one. He can’t get flustered. Hakim Warrick, Gerry McNamara, and Kueth Duany are capable of carrying part of the scoring load. Specifically, McNamara and Duany must spread the defense so Warrick and Anthony can go to work underneath, where they are most effective. Rebounding wise, the post needs to perform and not get out muscled by a bigger Texas frontcourt. Offensive rebounds and second chances will be key for Syracuse, who has been devilishly consistent despite their youth, and will look to make a statement on behalf of the underrated Big East conference.

Texas:

You might say the Texas has the target on its back, being the only No. 1 seed to make the Final Four. T.J. Ford has shown to be the brightest star in the game in a down year for superstars. He is college’s premiere playmaker, who has dictated the tempo of every Longhorn game this season. Ford hasn’t seen a zone defense as potent as Syracuse’s this season, but he’s met every challenge asked of him. Junior forward James Thomas has the bulk to dominate the post against the lanky Orangemen. He averaged a double-double for the Longhorns on the season, and finds himself on the receiving end of many of Ford’s assists. Brandon Mouton rounds out Texas’ big three. The junior swingman gives the Longhorns the scoring versatility they need to win it all. Royal Ivey and Brandon Boddicker are significant role players who sure up this team’s holes. This is Texas’ first final four since 1947, and head coach Rick Barnes has put the weight of the accomplishment firmly upon his shoulders. The Longhorns may crack under the pressure, but Texas has depth and a bit more experience than Syracuse. How Ford plays the zone will be the key to the Longhorns success. If he can navigate it successfully and add the needed kick-outs, Ford will be standing at center court holding up a happy “Hook’em” for the Texas faithful.