Big Ten madness

If the basketball gods have taught us anything over the years, it is to expect the unexpected during the month of March. This Thursday that theme may ring true as the sixth-annual Big Ten men’s basketball tournament kicks off from the United Center in Chicago. All 11 conference schools will be participating in the tournament, each vying for the automatic NCAA tournament bid that is awarded to the champion. Wisconsin (22-6, 12-4) enters the tournament as the regular season champion, giving them the No.1 seed in the tourney for the second consecutive year. The Badgers, who have a first-round bye, will either play No. 8 seed Ohio State (14-13, 7-9) or No. 9 seed Iowa (15-12, 7-9) in Friday’s quarterfinals.

While UW enters the tourney as the top seed, history is not on the Badgers’ side for winning the Big Ten tournament. The Badgers have a 4-5 record in its nine Big Ten tournament games and have lost in their first tournament game each of the last two seasons. Last season as the No. 1 seed, the Badgers were upset by No. 9 seed Iowa 58-56 in the quarterfinals on a last-second shot by Hawkeye senior Luke Recker.

Overall, the tournament has been unkind to top-seeded teams. In the five-year history of the Big Ten tournament, the top seed has lost in the quarterfinal round three times and the 1999 Michigan State Spartans are the only No. 1 seed to win the tournament.

Although UW, Illinois and Purdue have essentially secured NCAA tournament bids, other “bubble” teams need to win at least one game to secure their tickets for the Big Dance. No. 6 seed Indiana (18-11, 8-8) is currently one of those teams. The Hoosiers face off against No. 11 seed Penn State (7-20, 2-14) in the first round Thursday.

Last year’s national runner-up and one of the pre-season favorites to win the Big Ten has played streaky basketball throughout the conference season. With only a .500 record in the fifth strongest conference according to the RPI rankings, coach Mike Davis and his Hoosiers need at least one victory in the tourney to avoid sitting on pins and needles come “Selection Sunday”.

Another “bubble” team that needs a successful weekend in Chicago is Minnesota. The No. 7 seeded Golden Gophers (16-11, 8-8) face off against No. 10 seed Northwestern (11-16, 3-13) in first-round action Thursday. Head coach Dan Monson and his young squad, led by sophomore forward Rick Rickert, head to Chicago in search of claiming an invitation to the NCAA tournament. In lieu of a mediocre conference record and a weak non-conference schedule, the Gophers may need two victories in the Big Ten tournament to secure their much-desired bid. If not, Monson and the Gophers may be looking at an NIT appearance instead.

Just as dangerous as the “bubble” teams are the lower-seeded schools playing to extend their seasons. The four lowest seeds — Ohio State, Iowa, Northwestern and Penn State — all have sub-.500 regular-season conference records and need to go deep in the tournament in order to have a realistic shot at making the NCAA tournament. However, lower seeds have enjoyed relative success in the history of the Big Ten tournament. Last year, No. 9 seed Iowa defeated the Badgers en route to the championship game. This came a year after the Hawkeyes won the conference tourney as a No. 6 seed. In 1999, No. 11 Illinois, sparked by guard Cory Bradford, made a Cinderella run reaching the championship game where they lost to No. 1 seed Michigan State.

As always, the role of spoiler always comes into conference-tourney play. The Michigan Wolverines (17-12, 10-6) hold the No. 3 seed and a first-round bye in the Big Ten tournament. However, the school placed itself under athletic probation in November for a booster club scandal that occurred during the mid ’90s. Part of the self-imposed sanctions included banning itself from post-season play, which includes the NCAA tournament. Announced just after its season had started, coach Tommy Amaker and the Wolverines stumbled out of the gates.

However, a 13-game winning streak propelled up the conference standings and makes Michigan a dangerous opponent in this year’s tournament. Since the Wolverines will not be part of the 65-team field in the NCAA tourney, they have their eyes focused squarely upon winning the Big Ten championship.

The Big Ten tournament will get underway Thursday, and if history is any indicator, the basketball gods may treat fans to another slice of basketball heaven as an appetizer to the NCAA tournament.