Finally, a feeling of confidence heading into a series

For the first time in this WCHA season, the Wisconsin men’s hockey team has momentum heading into a series.

After dispensing Alaska-Anchorage, 4-1 and 4-2, in last weekend’s sweep, the Badgers (10-17-3 overall, 4-12-3 WCHA) now head to Minneapolis for a face off against the Golden Gophers. Newfound offensive sparks, due in large part to senior captain Brad Winchester, provide hope that UW’s fortunes will change after losing the past four consecutive road contests by a combined score of 20-4.

“(The sweep is) a building block for our team,” Winchester said. “Our team responded and came out on top.”

Winchester, who lead by example by breaking out of a season-long scoring drought to tally three goals against UAA, will need to anchor the offensive load if the streak is to be broken in a hostile environment.

“I would think (Winchester’s funk is over),” said head coach Mike Eaves, whose team is 1-7-3 in WCHA road games this year. “Because we had a discussion (last) week — just relax a bit and play to your strength. Hopefully that will help us for (this) week.”

The most promising sign of the weekend was the Badgers’ response to the disintegration of their three-goal lead to 3-2 halfway through the third period Saturday.

“I saw growth in terms of the team being able to get the job done,” Eaves said.

Wisconsin now has an advantage it has not seen this season heading into a series: confidence.

“We have a little wind in our sails right now,” Eaves said.

Accountability Issues

In Friday night’s win over Alaska-Anchorage, Eaves saw forwards Alex Leavitt and Erik Jensen make mistakes caused by undisciplined and frustrated play. The pair, called for roughing penalties on separate occasions, did not suit up for the following night’s contest as a result.

“It was an accountability thing,” Eaves said. “If it’s a 2-1 game in the playoffs and we get frustrated and do that kind of thing (in a game that’s on the line), they’d feel bad.”

Eaves said that since the unacceptable play occurred during the regular season, the benching would be presented as “a time to grow.”

Freshman Impresses

UW was able to sweep the hapless UAA Seawolves largely because of the play of freshman Nick Licari. The 5-foot-8 Duluth native played back-to-back nights, impressively notching a goal and three assists on the weekend and nearly doubling his season output while catching the eye of Eaves.

“He really showed another level,” Eaves said. “Time has been a big factor in his improvement.”

Licari had three goals and two assists before the series.

Jottings

The key to a Badger victory is getting the first goal. In games that UW has gotten on the board first they are 5-1-1 … Last Friday, Wisconsin received the fastest back-to-back scores since Nov. 2000. UW’s Ryan MacMurchy (11:25) scored 12 seconds after Licari (11:37). In less than 13 minutes, the Badgers notched two power-play goals. Prior to that point, it had taken thirteen games (or 498:38) to get a pair of scores on the man-advantage, going 2-53 (3.8 percent). The Badgers stand four points behind 7th place Michigan Tech.