Spartans rebounding for NCAA run

Oh, how the tables have turned for head coach Tom Izzo and the Michigan State Spartans men’s basketball program. Coming into this season, Michigan State was only a year removed from appearing in their third-consecutive Final Four, which included winning the National Championship in 2000. However, as it stands now, the Spartans find themselves in the unusual role of being a “bubble team” heading into February and closer to tournament time.

Michigan State’s run to solidify their NCAA tournament status begins in Madison Tuesday night — nationally televised — as the Badgers (16-5, 6-3) play host to Izzo and the Spartans (13-8, 5-4).

Despite a slow start in conference play, the Spartans come in to the Kohl Center on a roll, winners of four of their last five games, including a 68-65 victory in East Lansing over previously No. 14 Illinois and a 67-62 overtime win Saturday in Bloomington against Indiana. However, Michigan State will be without the presence of starting guard Alan Anderson, who is expected to miss three to four weeks after dislocating a finger during practice. Michigan State will have to rely on Anderson’s backcourt mate Kelvin Torbert to fill in while Anderson is out. The former Mr. Basketball of Michigan is averaging just nine points this season and the Spartans will need him to step up his offensive production while Anderson is on the sidelines.

The Spartans’ mid-season resurgence has been sparked by the play of sophomore guard Chris Hill. Leading the squad in scoring (14.4 ppg) and assists (4.0 apg), Hill is also fourth in the Big Ten in three-point percentage (.427). He also averages 1.76 steals per game, which is second in the conference to Badger guard Devin Harris.

“He is very physical defensively, because he shifts his feet so well,” said Harris. “Offensively, he shoots the three really well, especially off double screens they set up for him. We just need to keep him from going to the right off those screens, because he is their best perimeter shooter.”

Another reason for the Spartans’ recent success has been the contribution of center Paul Davis. After beginning the season deep on Izzo’s bench, Davis has seen increased playing time during the Spartans’ latest run. Against Illinois, the freshman scored a career-high 15 points while adding eight rebounds. Davis then topped that performance Saturday, by pouring in 21 points and grabbing nine boards against the Hoosiers.

“He’s really played well as a freshman in this conference,” said Badger center Mike Wilkinson. “We need to contest his shots from the start, because then he’ll take tough shots, because he is a freshman. We have to make him earn everything he gets.”

A key to Tuesday’s match-up will be how successful Wisconsin can grab rebounds against the physical Spartan front. Michigan State leads the conference in rebounding differential, averaging nearly seven more rebounds per game than their opponents. The Badgers, who are second in the league in rebounding differential, are fully aware that the Spartans present a challenge inside.

“They are a tough team, they are hard-nosed, and they have an amazing intensity level, so we need to make sure we can match that,” said senior guard Kirk Penney. “We know they are going to hit the boards and we are ready for it, we just need to stick to our rules, box out our man and get the board.”

The pride Michigan State takes in rebounding is part of the tough and rugged persona they have adopted from coach Izzo. He looks for and expects from his players the same grit, determination, and do-whatever-it-takes mentality that he coaches with. This is one reason why he has experienced great success in East Lansing.

“You don’t see a lot of teams that aren’t tough and winning,” said Badger head coach Bo Ryan. “It’s the coach’s power to put players on the floor who play how he wants them to play. Their players play tough, because they have the same mentality as their coach.”

It is this tough attitude that has brought Izzo and the Michigan State program to national prominence. It is also the mindset that they will have to have as they face a difficult stretch leading into March and the NCAA tournament.