Winter break best for sports

Winter break is seriously one of the best times all year. No classes to attend, no silly eight-page papers and none of the hassles associated with the hectic school year; this leaves many students free do what else … watch sports during the second-best time of the year.

I am not going lie; my absolute favorite time of the year is, hands down, March. Nothing beats the NCAA tournament, but winter break is definitely right up there in the sports fan’s world.

Starting as soon as Dec. 17, NCAA bowl games kick off with New Orleans Bowl. For 18 days, sports fans everywhere can enjoy 28 different bowls and see their favorite teams play some exciting matchups.

This year, the Big Ten can brag of sending seven teams to bowl games, including two teams that have secured spots in two Bowl Championship Series games.

Big Ten teams will begin bowl play with Wisconsin, who will face Colorado in the Alamo Bowl Dec. 28, and two days later, border rival Minnesota will take on Arkansas in the Music City Bowl.

New Year’s Eve, Purdue matches up with Washington in the Sun Bowl, and on New Year’s Day, Michigan will play in the Outback Bowl against Florida. Also playing on New Year’s Day are Auburn and Penn State.

Just like in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, it is always fun to cheer for Big Ten teams in hope that the conference will represent and make a strong showing. This year will be no different for me, as I will sit back in my comfy recliner and hope not only for all the smaller bowl teams to do well but look for Ohio State and Iowa not to fall on their faces in front of national audiences.

Iowa just barely snuck in to the Orange Bowl, and on Jan. 2 will get the chance against Southern California to prove that it deserves to be there up there with the big dogs.

In addition to Iowa, Ohio State will get the chance to make this same statement against Miami in the Fiesta Bowl’s National Championship game on Jan. 3. Many doubt the ability of the Buckeyes to hang with the Hurricanes, including me, but if the team is able to pull off the upset what a game it will be.

After having so much college-football fun, it is hard to imagine break being any more exciting, but the very next day, Jan. 4, the National Football League playoffs will begin. The excitement lasts throughout the month, culminating on Jan. 26 with the big, bad Super Bowl.

The good ole Green Bay Packers have already clinched the NFC North Division and will surely have a chance to do some serious damage in the playoffs. Too bad for all you Vikings’ and Bears’ fans, both teams are out of playoff contention, but hey, the playoffs are still exciting to watch even without your favorite team.

The last part of my winter-break-fun equation is Big Ten and ACC basketball. Enough already with all of the cupcake teams and the inner-state rivalries, I am pumped to see Wisconsin battle the likes of Michigan State, Indiana and Illinois.

On Jan. 7 and 8, the Big Ten season kicks off, and what an exciting ride it is going to be! Will Rick Rickert and Brian Cook live up to their pre-season expectations, and will Michigan State prove it is really the best team in the conference? The Big Ten is usually somewhat of a roller-coaster ride, and this year will be no different.

In addition to the Big Ten, the ACC season is always filled with excitement, and this year promises much of the same, as Duke is back with a young lineup, and North Carolina has started out this season more promising than last season by winning the preseason NIT.

All in all, winter break is awesome for many reasons, but in my book, the fun-filled weeks of good sporting events is what makes the time stand out.

Only a week and half more, and we are all home free for some serious fun.