Byrd, Shields named All-Big Ten

After a roller-coaster ride of a season for Big Ten volleyball, this weekend marked the last of the Big Ten matches, and now eight teams will look forward to the NCAA tournament. But before the Big Ten season is forgotten, the conference has released the 2002 All-Big Ten team. Two Wisconsin players earned spots on that list.

Senior captain Erin Byrd was one of the five players who were unanimous selections to the All-Big Ten team. Byrd leads the Badgers in kills with 4.38 kills per game and is second on the team with 38 service aces and 2.99 digs per game. Last year, she was named Honorable Mention All Big-Ten

“I think everyone has done their job, and Byrd has had an amazing year, so I am very proud of her and very happy for her,” teammate Morgan Shields said.

Not only should she be proud of Byrd, but Shields herself was the second UW player named to the All-Big Ten team. One of the best setters in the nation, Shields led the Badgers in assists with 13.89 per game for the season and was second in the Big Ten in assists with 13.79 assists in Big Ten play only.

The junior also led the Badgers with 61 service aces and contributed 2.50 digs, 0.56 blocks and 1.04 kills per game.

“I am really happy for both of them,” UW head coach Pete Waite said. “They have really worked hard over the course of their careers and even over the course of the season. I think they have really grown and matured as players.”

“That kind of voting shows a lot of respect from the other coaches in the conference, because as the coach I am not allowed to vote for my own players. So this is totally the other coaches saying they believe these two are the top of the bunch.”

Byrd and Shields were joined on the All-Big Ten team by Melissa Brewer (Indiana), Erin Moore (Michigan), Angela Morley (Michigan State), Cassie Busse (Minnesota) Paula Gentil (Minnesota), Lindsey Vander Well (Minnesota), Erika Lange (Northwestern), Stacey Gordon (Ohio State), Cara Smith (Penn. State) and Mishka Levy (Penn. State).

Waite seemed to agree with the results, as he revealed he was right in picking 11 out of the 12 players given the honor.

Gordon, an outside hitter leading the Big Ten with 5.87 kills per game, was named Big Ten player of the year in only her sophomore year; last year she was named Big Ten freshman of the year. This year’s freshman-of-the-year award went to Penn State setter Sam Tortorello, who also earned Honorable Mention All-Big Ten.

Defensive player of the year went to Minnesota libero Paula Gentil, who led the Big Ten in digs with 4.56 per game.

After an amazing 17-3 record in Big Ten play, Minnesota coach Mike Herbert was named Big Ten coach of the year.

Another UW player receiving Big Ten accolades was freshman middle blocker Sheila Shaw, who was named to the All-Big Ten freshman team.

“That’s great that Sheila came in as a freshman and was able to contribute so much and be a threat in the league, and that says a lot for her future,” Waite said.

Joining her in this honor are Gentil, Jessica Byrnes (Minnesota), Stephanie Higgins (Ohio State), Tortorello and Renata Dargan (Purdue).