Five Keys to Victory

The Badgers, who rose as high as No. 15 in the nation after their 5-0 start, have since experienced the bitter taste of defeat, winning just one of their last six games. Although the season has not gone as well as the team or fans had anticipated, the Badgers’ bowl hopes are still very much alive. If they can find a way to upset Michigan Saturday in the Big House, the Badgers would pick up their all-important seventh win and would subsequently become bowl-eligible. Here are five things Wisconsin will want to focus on if it hopes to upend the No. 10-ranked Wolverines.

Contain Michigan’s thunder-and-lightning ground attack

Led by quarterback John Navarre, the Wolverine’s aerial assault has proven to be one of the best in the country. Michigan has successfully put teams away, however, with its ground game’s formidable one-two punch, which consists of running back Chris Perry and fullback B.J. Askew. While Perry utilizes his explosive speed to simply blow by opposing defenders, Askew imposes his 6-foot-3, 240-lb. frame to shed off would-be tacklers while grinding out yardage up the middle. If the Badgers hope to upset Michigan, UW’s defense, the front four in particular, will need to control the line of scrimmage and contain Perry and Askew.

Take advantage of Wolverines’ dinged-up secondary

It’s possible that Michigan could be without three members of its starting defensive backfield Saturday. Earlier this year, defensive back Zia Combs sustained a season-ending neck injury, and in the last two weeks not one but two key members of the Wolverines pass coverage unit have gone down. Although seniors Cato June and Julius Curry are listed as probable for the last home game of their respective collegiate careers, they will not be 100 percent. With Michigan stacked up against Anthony Davis and the running game, Jonathan Orr, Brandon Williams, and the other young, talented Badger wide-outs may be the difference makers in deciding the fate of the game.

Control time of possession

With an excess of 100,000 fans in the Big House, predominately in blue-and-gold garb, the Badgers will need to control the clock not only to keep Navarre and the Wolverine offense off the field, but to take the crowd out of the game as well. Whether it’s Anthony Davis, Dwayne Smith, or some combination of the two, the running game will need to wear down Michigan’s defense and the clock if the Badgers are going to leave Ann Arbor with a victory.

Take advantage of turnovers

Last week against Illinois, Jim Leonhard and the Badger D came up with a whopping five turnovers. UW’s offense, however, was unable to capitalize on the seemingly inevitable scoring opportunities handed to them, putting up just 20 points on 14 possessions. This week the Badgers will be facing a much more experienced, talented offense and consequently will not likely come up with as many turnovers. As a result, quarterback Brooks Bollinger and the Badger offense will need to take full advantage of every momentum swing and extra possession the defense hands them.

Ignore Wolverines’ record and ranking

The Badgers have proven they’re capable of hanging with the nation’s elite teams, nearly walking away with a victory against the No.1-ranked team in the BCS, Ohio State. Although Michigan has won the last five contests over Wisconsin, the match-up has lost little of its luster over the years. Last season in Camp Randall, minus a few costly special teams miscues, the Badgers should have sent the Wolverines home with another tally in the loss column. It does not matter if the Wolverines are 8-2 or 2-8; last year’s returning players, the seniors in particular, have not forgotten the 20-17 heartbreaker they suffered a year ago and will undoubtedly be going for the jugular when they get to Ann Arbor.