Simply offensive

At a time when the Badger offense should be clicking on all cylinders and running up the score against unranked opponents at home, it has instead failed to pull its own weight and has put a possible Badger bowl bid in jeopardy.

After a 37-20 loss to Illinois last weekend, the UW offense was left to ponder how it could turn five Illini turnovers into just two Badger touchdowns.

“Basically, it comes down to lack of execution,” freshman wide receiver Jonathan Orr said. “That’s coming from all the positions … We all have to be on the same page at the same time and just execute what we came out to do.”

Two weeks ago, the Badger offense was utterly stagnant in a three-point performance against Iowa. The team recorded a season-low 14 first downs in its 20-3 loss to the Hawkeyes. Last weekend against Illinois, the team worsened its futility with only 13 first downs and a 2-13 performance in converting third-down opportunities.

“The last couple weeks haven’t looked too good, but guys are continuing to work hard, and nobody has [given] up on anything,” Orr said.

The Badgers have thrown for zero touchdowns in the last two weeks, while committing four turnovers. The play of quarterback Jim Sorgi has been anything but brilliant, and the clearance of senior quarterback Brooks Bollinger to play against Michigan may be the boost the Badgers need on offense.

Last Saturday, the Badger offense twice could not gain a first down after Illini turnovers. Early in the game with a first and goal opportunity on the 7-yard line, they could only gain four yards, resulting in a field goal. Later in the game, they were forced to punt after receiving the ball after another Illini turnover. In the third quarter, the Badger offense took over on the Illini 10-yard line but needed four plays to reach the end zone after failing on yet another third-down attempt.

“We need to be more opportunistic and take advantage of those turnovers when [we] have the chance to,” offensive coordinator Brian White said. “Those are big momentum shifts, and we didn’t take advantage of them to the point that we would like to.”

The one bright spot on the Badger offense last weekend was the play of true freshman running back Dwayne Smith. After starter Anthony Davis was unable to compete in the contest due to an off-field injury, the Badger freshman stepped in and filled the void quite well. Smith ran for a career-high 122 yards and scored the Badgers’ two touchdowns in a performance that shows great promise for the sure-handed running back.

“Dwayne did a nice job. I was very pleased with his first start; he wasn’t starry eyed, he was very productive, and I thought he accounted for himself very well,” coach White said. “To be playing at the level that he is playing at as a true freshman is pretty significant.”

The Badger offense will be looking to get off to a fast start against Michigan this weekend, hoping to avoid getting out-executed in crucial situations.

“The only thing Coach [Alvarez] is telling us to do is to try,” said wide receiver Brandon Williams. “Make plays in the beginning so that we don’t have to play from behind.”