Women’s Big Ten soccer tournament heating up

The last few games of the women’s Big Ten soccer season are happening this weekend. With three teams fighting for that final spot in the Big Ten tournament, this promises to be a weekend that squeezes one team in, and sends the other two home to watch the tournament from the couch.

Penn State: As the winner of the tournament last year and regular season champion, this year the Nittany Lions took control of the season posting a record of 13-2-1 overall and 8-1 in the Big Ten, assuring themselves the top seed.

Their three star players, Christie Welsh, Heidi Drummond and Tiffany Weimer, are the number two through four point leaders in the conference and the fuel that runs this offensive powerhouse.

With its final conference game coming against Ohio State in Happy Valley, Penn State is the heavy favorite to repeat last season’s Big Ten Tournament championship.

Michigan: Having already assured themselves the No. 2 seed in the conference tournament with a 12-4, 7-2 record, the Wolverines are looking to use their potent offense to turn some heads.

Behind star player Abby Crumpton, the leading scorer in the Big Ten with ten goals and nine assists, they are a serious threat to Penn State’s two-peat hopes.

They wrap up regular season conference play against in-state rival Michigan State this weekend and have the No. 2 seed in the postseason playoffs locked.

Purdue: Tied for third in conference with a 10-3-1, 5-2-1 record, the Boilermakers are coming off a win in Iowa and have been looking good all season.

With spurts of greatness, like being only the second team in nine years to beat Notre Dame in South Bend, the Boilermakers are legitimate contenders for the conference title.

The team has relied all season on goalie Jocelyn Cavalier, who has posted five shutouts, helping the team win during some of their scoring droughts. As long as she can keep up her play, the Boilermakers can stand against the onslaught of scoring powerhouses in the Big Ten.

Michigan State: Having one of the best goalies in the country has helped the Spartans to tie for third in conference and be assured a spot in the Big Ten Tournament.

Behind star goalie Stacey Heller, who has posted six shutouts so far, the Spartans are taking the road less traveled towards the conference title by relying heavily on their defense.

Although the strategy has gotten them this far, in the postseason they’re going to need to step up their scoring if they want to make a run at the title.

Indiana: Smack in the middle of the playoff picture are the Hoosiers.

With an 8-5-2, 4-3-2 record, the Hoosiers are contenders, but it’s an uphill hike with their final regular-season conference game at Purdue.

With no real superstars on the squad, they’ll need everyone from the goalie to the athletic trainer to step it up.

Ohio State: In sixth place for the regular season Big Ten standings, the Buckeyes are not quite a national power like their counterparts in football.

With a record of 6-8-1, 4-4-1, the team does not posses an overall winning record, but the team’s Big Ten record is good enough to sneak them in the playoff picture.

Wisconsin: The Badgers have the seventh spot in the playoff picture locked in.

With a record of 7-7-3, 3-4-2, UW will need a good showing from stars like Jenny Kundert and Kelly Conway to erase the memory of not making the playoffs last season and to make a bid for going to the NCAA tournament as well.

Illinois: The Illini are in front of the three-way race for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Big Ten Tournament. With two conference games left, they need some wins to assure they keep that final spot.

Northwestern: Sitting in second place in the race for the final playoff spot is Northwestern. With no conference games left, and a loss last week at the hands of Michigan, it looks like the Wildcats are out of the picture.

Iowa: The Hawkeyes play their final conference game against the Ilini, their competition for the final playoff spot. If the Hawkeyes beat Illinois and the Ilini drop their other conference game, the Hawkeyes will steal that last invitation to the Big Ten Tournament.

Minnesota: Finally, we have the Bad News Bears of the Big Ten: the Golden Gophers. With a record of 6-9-1, 1-8, they have had a very sub-par conference season. They’ll be watching the playoffs from home.