5 keys to victory

Not only is this weekend the Homecoming football game, but it is also a must-win for the Badgers if they want to be known as a threat in the Big Ten Conference. Unfortunately, Saturday’s game is not going to be a piece of cake, and the Badgers have their work cut out for them.

The No. 4 Ohio State Buckeyes are coming to town, and their undefeated record and high-powered offense pose a major threat for Wisconsin. The Buckeyes (7-0, 2-0) look better on paper than the slumping Badgers (5-2, 0-2). With the Badgers desperate for a win, Ohio State must overcome a hostile crowd if they are going to leave Camp Randall with a victory. Here are the five keys to a successful Saturday.

Stop Maurice Clarett

The true freshman tailback is by far the biggest threat to the Badger defense. He is young, quick and has the unique ability to single-handedly take over a football game. He likes to run and can catch long passes, making him especially hard to cover. Last week against San Jose State, he scored three touchdowns and finished with 132 yards on 18 carries. The key to stopping Clarett will be to keep him from getting into a rhythm. A frustrated Clarett has proven vulnerable this season, and he also has a tendency to fumble the ball. The linebackers need to know where he is on the field at all times while the defensive line sets up and plugs the holes. The heart of the Buckeye offense depends on the play of this young man, so the Badgers must stop him.

Feed the ball to Anthony Davis

It is vital that Anthony Davis step up and make the big plays Badger fans became so accustomed to last year. It is time for fans to see the Anthony Davis that earned all-Big Ten honors in his freshman campaign. Last weekend against Indiana he had 109 yards, and this Saturday he should look to double that. He needs to get good first-down yardage to eliminate third-and-longs, something that will depend heavily on the play of the offensive line. If Davis can build on last week’s performance forcing OSU to stack up against the run, UW’s passing game should open up nicely. This will give Wisconsin their best shot at upsetting the No. 4 team in the nation.

Create turnovers on defense

This can be done in a number of ways. Continuous pressure on Craig Krenzel could frustrate the mediocre quarterback into fumbling or forcing the ball into tight double coverage resulting in a turnover. The defensive backs will have to play airtight coverage and will have their hands full with the rest of the defense focusing on Clarett. This rests in the hands of Jim Leonhard, who needs to come up with those interceptions that he has been so effectively hauling in. The fumble-prone Clarett will be the target of UW’s linebackers, who will be aiming to strip the ball as well as make the tackle. Not only do the Badgers need to create turnovers, they also need to make the Buckeyes pay for their mistakes.

Solid special teams

The Badgers need to concentrate on making their field goals and getting every point they can get. Mike Allen had a nice game last weekend but can’t have any mental errors, because even the chip shots this season have decided a number of college football games. The kickoff and punt coverage needs to be strong and leave the Buckeyes with poor field position, which will be beneficial to the defense. The Badgers need to make them work for every yard they get, and it all starts with special teams.

Offensive-line domination

The offensive line must create holes for the elusive Anthony Davis and give him plenty of room to run. The line also needs to give Brooks Bollinger ample time to find the receivers and make good passes downfield. Keeping Bollinger off the turf and giving him confidence to stay in the pocket will open up Wisconsin’s air attack. Winning the war in the trenches and controlling the tempo of the game will frustrate the Buckeye defense. Sustaining long and time-consuming drives will wear down the defensive lineman and keep Clarett off the field.