Despite split, UW women impressive

The Wisconsin women’s soccer team turned in two gritty performances against rivals Michigan State and Michigan this weekend and came out 1-1. UW topped Michigan State 3-1 Sunday but fell short in a 3-2 loss to Michigan Friday night. While pleased with their first win over the Spartans, the team members were not satisfied with a split.

“Our goal was two get both games this weekend, and we didn’t achieve that goal,” said head coach Dean Duerst

It was a tale of two halves Friday night as Wisconsin (4-5-2, 1-2-1 Big Ten) played its rival Michigan Wolverines. A lackluster first half led to two unanswered goals by speedster Abby Crumpton, who was on the receiving end of great passes from Michele Pesiri and Amy Sullivant. In a span of 67 seconds Wisconsin found itself in a 2-0 hole.

“They came out strong early on and we didn’t seem to have our focus,” junior forward Jenny Kundert said. “At halftime, Coach talked to us about coming out in the second half with a greater intensity, and we did that.”

The second half saw a different team take the field. The Badgers began to put pressure on the Michigan defense and finally converted on a great scoring chance seven minutes into the second half. Forward Jenny Kundert found the back of the net on a great chip shot from well beyond the 18-yard box that squeaked its way under the crossbar and turned the game’s momentum in the Badgers’ direction. Just five minutes later, the Badgers were able to tie it up when freshman Katy Lindenmuth finished a great cross by right wing Carolyn Nosbuch.

The Badgers seemed destined to complete the rally before Michigan forward Abby Crumpton beat the defense and scored her third goal of the game, completing the hat trick.

“That third goal hurt our momentum,” said Duerst, “but we kept fighting.”

Michigan was able to hold Wisconsin’s late charge and brought itself to 3-0 in the Big Ten.

It was a disappointing finish to a great rally for the Badgers.

“We gave ourselves a chance to win, and I am proud of the team for that,” Duerst said. “They fought hard and continued to claw their way back into it, but not getting a result is very frustrating.”

The team took Friday’s second-half momentum and exploded out of the gates against Michigan State. In the 21st minute of action Kundert fed freshman Jessica Ring with a great pass and Ring found the back of the net, giving Ring her first collegiate goal.

“It’s a great feeling to get that first one,” said Ring. “We new we needed to get a win in the Big Ten and I am just happy we were able to accomplish that.”

Six minutes later Kundert found the net, giving Wisconsin a rare two-goal lead.

“Getting a two-goal lead was crucial and it took the sting out of Michigan State,” Duerst said. “Offensively, we showed how potent we can be when we are working on all cylinders.”

Heading into the second half with a 2-0 lead, the Badgers did what they had to do to get a crucial win under their belt. Kundert’s second goal of the game in the 50th minute put the Spartans in a hole that was too difficult to climb out of. The Spartans’ lone goal was scored by forward Erin Konheim with the assist from winger Heidi Lutz in the 51st minute. That was the last time the ball saw the back of the net, as the Badgers finished with a 3-1 victory.

The Badgers move to 1-2-1 in the Big Ten standings and look to improve their record next week on the road against Illinois and Iowa, in what will be a critical two-game stretch.

“Next week will shape where we are in the Big Ten,” Duerst said.