Ohio State tailback “probable” for Saturday

Ohio State freshman-sensation Maurice Clarett has rumors swirling around about his health, with the diagnosis hinging on OSU’s season. After sitting out against the Buckeyes’ come-from-behind win against Cincinnati last week, head coach Jim Tressel was baffled at the rumor that Clarett may not see another hand off for the remainder of the season.

“I don’t know where you heard that. We had more miscues than in the first three games,” Tressel said. “I hope we’re not that dependant [upon Clarett’s presence in the lineup.]”

Indeed, the Buckeyes aren’t in too bad of shape at tailback, even without Clarrett for the moment. Last year’s starting tailback Lydell Ross carried the ball 23 times for 130 yards.

Ross was demoted to the number-two position on the depth chart after Clarett graduated high school early last January to take part in OSU’s spring practice. Recently rumors had surfaced that Ross, a native of Florida, was considering transferring back to his home state to play for the Florida State Seminoles. However, Ross has refuted that rumor and said that he remains committed to the Buckeyes despite playing second fiddle to Clarett.

“That rumor is totally false,” Ross said Tuesday. “I have no idea where that came from. I think I’m in a great situation here at Ohio State. That’s why I am here. That’s why I’m going to stay.”

Clarett has had limited practice this week, and Ohio State trainers have listed him as probable with Tressel hoping to start him in the backfield this weekend against Indiana.

“Obviously, we’ll see how ‘probable’ that is as it goes,” Tressel said.

Mister Rogers

Michigan State wide out Charles Rogers has made his case as a Heisman candidate. The only problem is that MSU (2-2) can’t seem to win after dropping consecutive games to California and Notre Dame.

Against the Fighting Irish, Rogers nabbed two fourth-quarter touchdowns, including a spectacular 21-yard snaring grab at the back of the end zone while blanketed by two defenders. The touchdown put the Spartans in the lead momentarily at the 1:45 mark of the fourth quarter and gave the junior receiver a place in the NCAA record books, tying Randy Moss (Marshall), Aaron Turner (Pacific) and Desmond Howard (Michigan) with 12 consecutive regular-season games with a touchdown.

“I don’t think anybody else in college football can make that catch,” said MSU tailback David Richard, in reference to Rogers’ second score. “He’s just amazing.”

Squeakers

Michigan, Ohio State and Northwestern all saw their teams pull out wins, and Illinois, the defending Big Ten champ, saw its record fall to 1-3 amidst a plethora of nail-bitters in the final week of non-conference play.

Michigan and Ohio State finished off Utah and Cincinnati, respectively, with interceptions on their opponents’ final drives. Northwestern recovered Navy’s fourth fumble of game, which lead to NU’s game-sealing score with 3:26 seconds left, to tally their victory 49-40.

The Buckeyes took their first lead of the game, 23-19, in the fourth quarter with 3:44 to play after converting on a Cincinnati fumble. OSU dodged the defeat narrowly as it watched two feasible touchdowns slip through the fingers of UC receivers before Will Allen’s interception ended all hopes for the Bearcats.

“We are very fortunate to leave Paul Brown [stadium] with a win,” Tressel commented after the game.

Michigan allowed Utah to gain a petty 13 yards on the ground but couldn’t seem to break down the Utes’ defense in their 10-7 win. Julius Curry had the game-ending pick, his second on the day.

Illinois was beaten by a San Jose State 37-yard field goal on the last play of the game that sealed a 38-35 road victory for SJSU.