Badgers air it out

It looks like it could be the end of the venerable “three yards and a cloud of dust” that has typified the UW offense for so long.

First of all, there’s no dirt — or dust for that matter — at Camp Randall, thanks to the wonderful turf that caught Darrin Charles’ foot and resulted in a sprained ankle for the lanky wideout.

The main reason, though, that we might not see Anthony Davis getting too many more 36-carry games like the one he had against Fresno State is the unexpected explosion of the Badger passing attack, spearheaded by the freshman wideout tandem of Brandon Williams and Jonathan Orr, who have overshadowed the sophomore Charles, who has battled injuries all season.

Despite the absence of Lee Evans’ pro-level skills and 1,545 yards from a year ago, UW’s passing attack hasn’t missed a beat. Orr and Williams’ learning curves have been off the charts, as the two rookies have battled each other to see who can become the next Evans or Chris Chambers in the improbably talent-rich line of dominant receivers the Badgers have enjoyed in recent seasons.

With his 6-foot-3 frame and silky coordination, Orr’s rapid progress hasn’t come as that great of a surprise. Orr, who red-shirted last season, showed signs he could dominate opponents in practices last year, as well as his breakout performance in, ironically, the same spring game that saw Evans go down with an ACL tear.

It’s been Williams who has been the revelation out wide so far in this young season. The true freshman, who is listed generously at 5-foot-11 and tips the scales at only 165 pounds, has been fearless despite lining up against bigger corners and safeties, a problem Orr rarely has to deal with. Williams’ ability to run precise routes has been particularly impressive, as he has set up his pass patterns well and has had no problem creating separation from his defender along the sideline or over the middle.

The rapid progress and senior-esque swagger displayed by the young wideouts has ignited the UW passing attack and has lent some added confidence to the old man of Badger offense, four-year starting QB Brooks Bollinger.

Bollinger, who in past years has tended to trust his feet more than his arm, is quite simply throwing the football better than he ever has in his career. He has looked extremely comfortable in the pocket, trusting his experienced line to provide ample protection, and has thrown the ball downfield with authority, taking a few more chances on deep balls than he has in his previous three seasons.

Bollinger’s greatest attribute over his career has been his ability to protect the football, limiting interceptions and fumbles by playing it safe, tucking the ball away if his receivers are covered. Occasionally, though, Bollinger’s affinity for the QB keeper kept the Badger passing game in the stables.

During Evans’ record-setting season last year, Bollinger threw the ball downfield more, but he only had eyes for Evans, who caught the majority of the passes Bollinger threw.

With Williams and Orr both establishing themselves as reliable targets, Bollinger’s choices in the pocket are doubled. Offensive coordinator Brian White and Barry Alvarez have also aided Bollinger’s aerial affinity by using many multiple receiver sets that are a far cry from the two-tight-end, full-backfield formations UW fans have seen for the past 12 years.

Saturday, the Badgers lined up in everything from a four-wideout spread look to twins and trips formations. The days of hoping the lone receiver running a route will get open appear to be over, and the multiple options seem to encourage Bollinger to stay in the pocket a bit longer.

Bollinger has been better at picking his spots to run than last season, when the words, “Brooks Bollinger on the keeper” usually indicated a three-yard loss. When Bollinger has taken off this season, it has usually been because he’s seen a sea of open space, not because he’s gotten antsy in the face of a rush.

All of the airborne artistry may come crashing earthward once the Badgers actually have to face a legitimate opponent, however. Not to say Fresno State wasn’t a quality team, but their defensive superstar, end Nick Burley, only weighs in at 250 pounds.

The Big Ten schedule means big boys busting through the line and looking to flatten Bollinger, who may decide running for his life is the best idea when Penn State’s 325-pound semi-tractor-trailer named Jimmy Kennedy is baring down on him at top speed.

With Evans slated to return by the PSU contest, by which Charles may also be back to 100 percent, there’s simply no reason to return to the pound-it-in-there ground game Alvarez and White so love. Not with four extremely capable wideouts and a confident Bollinger throwing the ball downfield. Not with Anthony Davis failing to break the big runs that seemed to be a dime-a-dozen last season.

The first three games have proven to UW that throwing the football is an extremely viable way of attacking opposing defenses, and although White will always tell you he’d rather run the ball 40 times than throw it 40 times, it seems this year he might be reciting his run-first mantra through clenched teeth with a sly, knowing grin on his face.