It’s a wide-open race

Amidst one of its more dismal stretches with respect to the national spectrum, the Big Ten embarks on the 2002 football season with a great deal of optimism and a wide-open race for a conference champion.

In a conference with only four bowl wins over the last two years and the absence of a top 10 team since 1999, the majority of the teams in the Big Ten believe they possess the capability of finishing the year on top.

Michigan opens up the season ranked number 10 nationally and, along with Ohio State, has been touted by many experts as the conference favorite. Michigan State, riding the preseason hype of Jeff Smoker and Charles Rogers, has raised the bar on expectations, and Wisconsin and Penn State believe they’ve recovered enough from last year’s disastrous season to make a run for the coveted title.

Don’t count out defending champ Illinois, and perhaps Purdue or Iowa is poised to be this season’s dark horse.

It’s anybody’s race as the Big Ten attempts to regain the national prestige it held just two years ago, and it looks to be a seesaw battle once conference play commences Sept. 28.

Two Badgers honored

Wisconsin strong safety Jim Leonhard was awarded the Big Ten defensive player of the week after his performance in the season opener against Fresno State last Friday. Leonhard, a walk-on sophomore, intercepted two passes on the night and broke up five passes, including a fourth-down attempt in the final minute of the game that could have potentially set up a game-winning field goal for the Bulldogs.

Sophomore kicker Mike Allen also received player of the week honors after booting three field goals and converting both of his extra point attempts. Allen’s 34-yarder with two minutes to go in the game clinched it for the Badgers, who held on to win 23-21.

Alvarez approaching milestones

UW head football coach Barry Alvarez is on the verge of two career milestones as he sets out on his 2002 campaign. Oct. 12 at Indiana will mark the 150th career game coached by Alvarez, the most by any UW coach. Also, with 48 career Big Ten wins, he is also poised to become the first Wisconsin coach with 50 conference victories. Alvarez, in his 12th season with the Badgers, hopes to also eclipse that mark at Indiana, Wisconsin’s second conference game of the year.