UW losing a great coach, person

For Jeff Sauer, hockey has simply been a way of life. Whether it was playing the sport growing up in Minnesota or coaching it for over three decades at the collegiate level, the ice rink has emerged as a second home for this coaching legend.

Last January, after upholding the legacy of Wisconsin hockey for 20 years, Sauer unexpectedly announced his retirement from coaching the game of hockey, stating that it was time for the torch of the Badger hockey program to be passed.

“I just felt that at this point in my life, from a coaching standpoint, that it’s time to move on and let someone else experience this tremendous opportunity,” Sauer said at his retirement press conference.

While Sauer will not be calling the shots on the ice anymore, he will fulfill the remaining tenure of his contract working in the administration of the UW hockey program.

For the all-time winningest coach in UW history, his 36 years behind the bench have been nothing short of legendary.

Jeff Sauer began his coaching career in 1966 as an assistant at Colorado College under the direction of former Badgers coach, Bob Johnson. He then followed Johnson to the University of Wisconsin as an assistant before taking over the head coaching position at Colorado College in 1971.

After 11 seasons with the Tigers, Sauer moved back to Madison, where he was named head coach of the Badgers.

In his first season at Wisconsin, one extremely characteristic of his entire coaching career, Sauer led the Badgers to the 1983 national title, his first of two with the university (1990).

He led UW to two league titles in 1990 and 2000 and guided the Badgers to 12 NCAA appearances.

Sauer leads the WHCA in all-time victories and is fourth all-time in the NCAA with 655 career wins.

Outside Wisconsin, Sauer has been extremely active at the international level for U.S.A. Hockey, coaching a number of U.S. select and developmental teams over the last decade.

Equally as impressive as the laundry list of awards and records attributed to Sauer over the years is the generosity and enthusiasm he extends beyond his players.

Sauer has emerged as of one of the most genuine ambassadors of the sport, constantly extending his time and knowledge to youth hockey players across the country, as well as to various charities.

Aside from conducting his own summer hockey camps in Madison, St. Louis and Chicago, Sauer is associated with a number of organizations that benefit such foundations as the Special Olympics, the Arthritis Foundation and the Association of Retarded Citizens.

Off the rink, Sauer has dedicated his time toward younger kids by speaking at graduations, banquets and for the D.A.R.E. program in attempts to positively shape the lives of these youngsters.

Just last month, Sauer was awarded the 2002 Citation of Merit for his devotion to the game of hockey and the surrounding community, prompting St. Paul, Minn. mayor Randy Kelly to declare April 6, 2002 “Jeff Sauer Day” in the city of St. Paul.

Known for his coaching expertise on the ice and his charismatic demeanor off, Jeff Sauer will be tremendously missed by the Wisconsin hockey community.
His 31-year head-coaching career will not go forgotten and his legacy will impact the sport of hockey for decades to come.

Perhaps Michigan Tech head coach Mike Sertich put it best:

“College hockey has lost a voice and a leader and that hurts,” Sertich stated upon hearing the news of Sauer’s retirement. “Our league and college hockey certainly won’t be the same without him.”

The University of Wisconsin certainly won’t be. As anyone who has met Sauer can attest–the University of Wisconsin has lost a great coach, but an even better person.