Men’s soccer falls to Rampage

Even though he has only been coaching the squad for two months and the team’s season doesn’t begin until the fall, new head coach Jeff Rohrman has the UW men’s soccer team playing inspired ball this spring.

The team lost a hard-fought exhibition game 2-0 Friday night to the Milwaukee Rampage of the A-League, a nationwide professional soccer league. The Badgers, although sometimes appearing overmatched by the stronger, more skilled professional players, often exhibited poise and fluid ball movement as well as strong defense and goalkeeping throughout the match.

Sean Reti, a rookie from Marquette University, scored the eventual game-winning goal in the 56th minute of play. Reti rushed a loose ball about 15 yards from the goal and ripped it over the shoulder of charging goalkeeper Phil Ayoub and into the net.

In the 81st minute, the Rampage sealed the victory when Jason Russell settled a ball 25 yards from the goal and immediately shot it, sending a perfectly placed ball into the upper right hand corner of the goal, over the hand of the diving Ayoub.
The Rampage dominated the early stages of the game, possessing the ball and probing the Wisconsin defense by bringing it deep into UW territory before sending it back if a scoring opportunity failed to presented itself. Wisconsin, on the other hand, seemed a step slower, possibly even tentative in the beginning of the first half.

“This was for sure our best test of the season. I think it took us a while to relax and actually start playing,” Rohrman said. “When we did, it wasn’t so bad, we did some good things. They certainly respected them, but I think they also feared them for some reason, I don’t know why. They should be confident. I was a little surprised that we came out a little timid, but hopefully we learn from it.”

Milwaukee found enough holes in the UW defense to create several shots in the early stages of the game but could not manage a score.

The Rampage attack was spearheaded by forward Digi Takanira, an extremely quick and shifty attacker who seemed to dance with the ball at his feet. Takanira found himself alone with the ball inside the 18-yard box after UW goalkeeper Eric Hanson misplayed the ball just three minutes into the game. Takanira ripped one of his five shots on the day at the open net but it was deflected away from the goal by defender Ryan Nord.

Takanira received another opportunity three minutes later when he dribbled into the box and beat a defender, giving himself a one-on-one with the keeper, but Hanson smothered the ball to make the save.

Hanson, who played the first half while the veteran Ayoub played the second, was very active while in net, making five saves, some on very difficult shots. He appeared composed and unafraid of the higher-caliber opponents as he kept Wisconsin in the game in the first half.

“I thought Eric did really well, especially since, like I said, we didn’t really come to play until midway through the first half,” Rohrman said. “I wasn’t here in the fall, but from what I’ve seen and heard Eric has really come on. He’s playing very confidently. He’s got great size and great quickness, and he did a good job in the first half. At the same time, though, he hasn’t really separated himself from Phil.”

UW started to settle down about halfway through the first half, possessing the ball in the offensive half and appearing more composed on both ends of the field.
With 20 minutes remaining in the half, UW forward Nick Van Sicklen received a great ball from midfielder Nicolas Aguilar down the left sideline and was fouled just outside the box. Midfielder John McGrady took the free kick from 22 yards out, bending the ball to the far upper corner of the net, but the attempt was headed away by a Milwaukee defender.

Wisconsin had another excellent scoring opportunity with 11 minutes left in the first half, when Christian Popper headed a cross to forward Valentine Anozie, who rifled a shot that flew just wide left. Later, a Van Sicklen shot well inside the box was blocked in front of the goal by a Milwaukee defender.

“When you play against high-caliber teams it teaches you key areas you need to work on, like finishing in front of the goal,” Anozie said. “We had some chances but we just didn’t capitalize.”

The Badgers put added pressure on the Milwaukee goal in the second half, hitting the crossbar once and forcing Rampage keeper Dan Popik to make several acrobatic saves, but, like in the first half, they failed to convert.

Ayoub made his mark on the game when he made the save of the day with less than two minutes remaining in the contest. As Reti came streaking down the left sideline on a breakaway, Ayoub came out to challenge him. As Reti sent a shot to the far post, Ayoub reacted, flung himself in the air to his left, grabbed the ball and held on when he came down.

Wisconsin’s subsequent scoring chances were averted, though, and the Badgers left the field in defeat. Considering the level of the opponent, though, the loss was nothing to be ashamed of, and Rohrman fully expects his team to learn from the exhibition loss.

“I think there’s more learning opportunities in a loss or a tie than if you win 3-0,” Rohrman said. “It’s going to be good for us in the long run.”