Madison’s best for tournament fans

Welcome to Madison, NCAA fans! There is a vast number of restaurants, bars and entertainment options to choose from here. Hopefully the following guide will help you find the best we have to offer.

Since eating is essential for survival, start with these city specialties.

For noteworthy hamburgers, it is essential to visit The Plaza Tavern and Grill, 319 N. Henry St., for one of its renowned Plaza Burgers with a special sauce that is unduplicated. A Madison staple for decades, The Plaza is a great place to eat, grab a beer or both.

If you have a craving for standard greasy-spoon fare, then Nick?s, 226 State St., is the place to satisfy it. Best described as a charming dive bar, Nick?s serves food and drinks late into the evening.

For a unique sandwich experience, check out The Radical Rye, 231 State St. You custom-create your own sandwiches on a little notepad and the staff makes them for you from fresh ingredients.

For the quintessential Wisconsin meal, the brat, the best place is State Street Brats, 603 State St. You can get a brat there, of course, as well as a wide selection of other grill items. But another draw is the fact that it is a great place to watch sports. Brats has big-screen televisions and a good beer selection.

Speaking of beer, when night falls you may want to go out and explore the nightlife.

The Pub, 552 State St., has been a part of the Madison bar scene for as long as anyone here can remember — it probably always will be.

For more Wisconsin tradition, make the hike to the Essen Haus, 514 East Wilson St. It boasts 260 imported beers on tap, and you can drink your beer out of a boot glass if you?re into that sort of thing.

If you want to go where the students go, investigate Wando?s, 602 University Ave. It offers a drink called “the fishbowl” that will guarantee total inebriation. A mixture of potent alcohols, the drink is literally served in a fishbowl. Or you can satisfy a curiosity and check out the Kollege Klub 529 N Lake St. This bar was recently profiled by Playboy magazine, if that?s any indication of its quality.

After a night of partying, you?ll probably be in serious need of some caffeine. Espresso Royale, 650 State St., can help you get your joe kick. Another local favorite is the coffee bar/music venue Electric Earth, 546 W. Washington Ave.

If you?re in the mood to check out some live music, extremely popular Chicago swing/blues band The Mighty Blue Kings will be in town Friday, March 22 at 9:30 p.m., causing a ruckus at Luther?s Blues, 320 N. Randall St.

If you want to catch a flick in between games you can head to University Square Four, 19 University Square. Or, for a more artistic experience, head down to The Orpheum, 216 State St. This beautiful old theater runs movies, holds concerts and also has a fantastic bar and restaurant.