Illinois preview

Before the season began, a matchup between Illinois and Kansas was one that most people thought would be reserved for the Final Four. While Kansas held up its end of the bargain, earning a number one seed, Illinois struggled throughout much of the regular season.

After struggling to fight their way back to a piece of the Big Ten title, the Illini are once again playing with the swagger expected of them as a pre-season top-ten pick. Illinois has won 11 of its last 12 games behind the resurgent play of guards Frank Williams and Corey Bradford.

“I think losing early opened our eyes and helped up realize what we had to do,” said Bradford. “Then we looked upon each other and said, ?we have to turn this thing around.? From then on, we took a step forward rather than backwards.”

Williams, bearing the brunt of heavy criticism during the middle of the season for his inconsistent and uninspired play, led Illinois in both scoring and assists during the team?s two first-round games against San Diego State and Creighton.

While many consider Illinois the hottest team in the tourney, the Illini have the unenviable task of taking on a Kansas team that many consider the best team in the country.

The meeting will mark the second consecutive year in which these two teams will meet in the Midwest Regional. Last season, Illinois beat Kansas 80-64 in a game that was closer than the score indicated, according to Illini coach Bill Self.

“I don?t think Kansas will use revenge as a factor,” Self said. “I think that has been blown out of proportion, but I will say that I don?t think last year will have any bearing. Last year?s game was not a blowout — it was a six-point game with three minutes left.”

Illinois was a No.1 seed for last year?s tournament, while Kansas was a No.12 seed. This year the roles are reversed, with Kansas holding the No. 1 seed and Illinois seeded fourth. According to Self, this Kansas team is much improved over last year?s team.

“You look at [Kansas?] perimeter players whenever [Kirk] Hinrich and [Jeff] Boschee shoot as many threes as they do, and you can take the pressure off them handling the ball with Miles. Has Gooden improved? He may be the national player of the year,” Self said. “They have improved all season. Stating the obvious, Gooden and Hinrich are really great,” he continued.

One advantage the Illini may have entering Friday?s contest is their position as one of two teams in the regional to have played at the Kohl Center (Texas lost to Wisconsin Dec. 7, 1999).

“I think it is a great advantage. We always play well in Kohl, whenever we don?t play Wisconsin,” joked Self. “Kohl hasn?t been real good to us. I don?t think there is that big of an advantage, but some other people will say I?m nuts.”

Illinois also has the shortest travel distance, so the team is expecting a strong Illini following and hopes to receive support from local Big Ten fans cheering for one of only two teams from the league remaining in the tournament.

“I would rather be playing in our area rather than out of our area,” commented Self. “I hope our fans are hustling hard to get their hands on tickets, but it certainly won?t hurt to have the Big Ten followers in the stands. I would hope [the locals] support us — I know if Wisconsin was playing in Champaign our people would turn out to support them, and that is the way it should be in a league.”

Illinois is one of the few teams in the country that has the size and agility to match Collison and Gooden on the inside while also being able to present two guards that are every bit as dangerous as Boschee and Hinrich. If the Illini?s Brian Cook can stay out of foul trouble and keep Gooden from dominating the game, Illinois may be able to pull off the upset and move ahead to face the winner of Oregon-Texas.