Sauer prepares for last home stand

Wisconsin’s regular-season finale this weekend could be the most significant happening at the Kohl Center in years.

The pristine ice sheet may witness not only the conclusion of nine seniors’ careers but also the culmination of Jeff Sauer’s spectacular coaching genius.

UW simply needs two points to solidify home ice in the WCHA playoffs that would guarantee another sighting of Sauer’s coaching and one last stand in Madison for the senior class.

Sauer, who has been coaching since before most UW students were born, has led Wisconsin into battle the past 20 seasons. Stepping down as the WCHA’s most victorious coach with 485 wins, the league will surely miss one of its most prominent personalities.

“[Sauer] has done so many things for this program and just hockey in general,” said senior captain Andy Wheeler. “He’s really left his stamp, and it’s a bar for other people to live up too.”

That “stamp” entails two national championships, five conference playoff championships and 12 NCAA appearances and has sent 27 players to the NHL.

Sauer, after receiving thanks at Colorado College and other WCHA schools after announcing his retirement in mid-January, will more than likely receive acknowledgements from his employer and the Kohl Center crowd.

“I haven’t thought about it at all,” Sauer said of the possibility of his last weekend at home. “I’m worried about getting home ice.”

Seniors bid adieu: Saturday evening is designated as Senior Night. For Mark Baranczyk, Kent Davyduke (assistant captain), Matt Doman (assistant captain), Dave Hergert, David Hukalo, Matt Hussey, Matt Murray, Rob Vega and Andy Wheeler, this will be their farewell. The nine seniors, one of the largest classes ever for UW hockey, have witnessed a WCHA regular-season crown and two NCAA appearances and hold a record of 80-61-13.

With this weekend figuring to be extremely sentimental, a Badger victory would be all the more special, and it would bring back the players and coach who will be sorely missed next season.

The response: After the early February series against Alaska-Anchorage, which concluded with UAA players calling the Badgers “a classless bunch” and “prima donnas,” it came as no surprise to hear UW forward Matt Murray wanted to respond.

“I’m very offended. I can’t believe they would run around saying stuff like that,” said Murray.

Following the split series, UAA’s Gregg Zaporzan commented back.

“We’ve been schooling them for how many years?” Zaporzan said.

After hearing that statement, Murray had a bit more on his mind.

“They think they’ve done something because they beat us,” said Murray. “But as far as I’m concerned, they’ve never won a playoff series, so they don’t have a lot to talk about.”

The return: The UW hockey program is about more than simply sport. Many former players make it a point to not only revisit their former campus but also partake in a practice or two.

Most recent was a visitation by Atlanta Thrasher Dany Heatley on Valentine’s Day. Heatley, with the NHL on Olympic break, skated with the group he played with just a year ago.

“It was good just to see the guys,” said Heatley.

The occurrence is not a rarity; the lure of Madison, pride in their alma mater and a chance to see old friends can be overwhelming.

“We have [former players] here a lot,” said head coach Jeff Sauer. “Ask Dany; they like being in Madison. It’s always great for our guys; he spent two years with most of them. It’s a real plus.”