Badgers look for home ice advantage

The final two weeks of regular-season play will prove to be extremely critical for the UW men’s hockey team, as well as many other teams in the WCHA.

At the top of the conference sit Denver and St. Cloud State, who are separated by only one point in the WCHA standings and face off in a critical series this weekend in Denver.

Although both teams have already clinched home-ice advantage for the conference playoffs, this weekend’s series will likely decide the 2001-02 WCHA regular-season champion.

Next in line is third-place Minnesota and fourth-place Colorado College. Like the Pioneers and Huskies, these two teams are only one point apart in the standings and will be playing their final two series with third-place aspirations, as they are eight and nine points, respectively, out of first place.

Nevertheless, each team has already clinched home-ice advantage, and Minnesota can rest assured that the WCHA Final Five will be played in its home city.

It is in the middle of the conference where the final weeks of conference play will matter the most. Currently, just three points separate the fifth- through eighth-place teams in the conference, all of which are fighting for the luxury of playing the first round of the playoffs in their own arena.

As of now, the Badgers hold that fifth and final spot, but must finish the rest of the season strong if they hope to retain it. Minnesota State trails by only one point, and Alaska-Anchorage and North Dakota loom only three points behind. Both Minnesota State and Alaska-Anchorage will conclude their conference season this weekend and UW owns a tiebreaker with North Dakota. So the Badgers still remain in prime position to be playing at the Kohl Center, but it certainly will not be handed to them.

To win it outright, UW must take five of the final eight points

remaining, but unfavorable schedules for the teams below them will probably allow the Badgers some breathing room.

Despite the result of this weekend’s series at Minnesota, a strong performance in the season finale against Minnesota-Duluth should bring the first round of the playoffs to Madison.

Bits and Pieces: As the regular season draws to a close, UW has reestablished itself as the nation’s leading Division I hockey attendance leader. This season has brought nearly 200,000 fans to the Kohl Center, averaging almost 12,000 per game.

This weekend’s series at Minnesota marks the final regular-season road trip for the eight seniors on the Badgers’ roster. Four of those seniors, Andy Wheeler, Matt Doman, Dave Hergert and Matt Hussey, are from the state of Minnesota.

This weekend’s series also marks the final visit to Mariucci Arena for UW head coach Jeff Sauer, who is retiring at season’s end with a 33-58-4 all-time record against the Gophers. Sauer, a Minnesota native, remains optimistic about the final return to his home state.

“I’d imagine the reception will be pretty warm,” commented Sauer with a grin. “At least before the puck drops.”

Former Badgers racing for gold: Five former UW hockey players have been participating in this year’s Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Team U.S.A.’s roster consists of four of those alumni, including team captain Chris Chelios as well as Gary Suter, Mike Richter and Brian Rafalski. Former Badger phenomenon Curtis Joseph is a goalie for Team Canada. Both the United States and Canada enter this weekend’s elimination round as worthy contenders for the gold medal in men’s ice hockey.

“It’s great for the school of Madison,” said UW head coach Jeff Sauer on his former players competing.

“It’s great for the entire state of Wisconsin.”