Murray discusses life as the scourge of Minnesota

Minnesota’s WCHA teams have historically cringed at the thought of facing Matt Murray.

After this season, however, the state of Minnesota will have an out after four years. The end of this spring will bring a finish to the domination of the four WCHA teams from across the border.

For the soon-to-be-graduating Murray, his career has hinged on killing the likes of Huskies, Bulldogs, Mavericks and Gophers. With 20 goals, five of them game-winners, Murray has seen more than half of his career goals come against schools with “MN” in the address.

“I don’t know what that’s all about,” said head coach Jeff Sauer on Murray’s dominance.

Murray, not heavily recruited by Midwest schools, was sought after on the Eastern Seaboard, but it was not what he desired.

With limited finances at UW’s disposal, Murray’s only option was to walk on at Wisconsin.

“The coaches said if I wanted to come play, they’d be happy to have me,” Murray said.

“Happy” has been an understatement for the coaching staff.

After he joined the Badgers in the 1998-99 season, it took only a few months before the Fond du Lac native broke onto the WCHA scene. Murray played in the final 23 games of the season for the Badgers, thus commencing his rule over Minnesota schools. During his freshman year, Murray netted six goals, every one against a Minnesota opponent.

“It worked out right when I started playing,” Murray said. “We played Duluth, then Mankato and Minnesota. All the weekends, I scored two goals.”

After being named the team’s Most Improved Player during a promising freshman season, Murray’s sophomore campaign did not disappoint.

Despite an unimpressive total of five goals, the consumer science major made nearly every score count, registering four game-winners, including the goal to solidify the MacNaughton Cup against Minnesota.

“We beat them in Minneapolis on their ice,” Murray said. “It was one of the most memorable games I’ve had.”

Murray’s junior campaign was a career year. Ranked second on the team in scoring with 16 goals and 29 assists totaling 45 points, No. 14 took his turn at hounding Minnesota-Duluth.

UMD succumbed to Murray’s antics, and the forward racked up two goals and three assists, fired 16 shots and finished the two-game road series with a plus-minus rating of +5.

“He works hard,” Sauer said. “He’s a good leader for us, and it’s been a real plus to watch the way he’s developed.”

Senior year has been no different. Murray has netted six of his 10 WCHA goals versus the Land of 10,000 Lakes. Half of his goals came against second-ranked SCSU in a weekend series that saw the Badgers steal three points and Murray celebrate his 24th birthday.

The only team to escape from Murray relatively unscathed has been Minnesota State. MSU has yielded just four points and one game-winner to the senior forward.

On the contrary, the Minnesota Gophers have not been quite as blessed. With eight goals, two of them game-winners, Murray has done away with more Gophers than a groundskeeper at a golf course.

“I’ve been fortunate,” Murray said. “It was always a battle; it was always a big rivalry. Throughout my career, I’ve gotten up more for big games. I’ve always prided myself on being around [at] the end of the game.”
With the Gopher series in a matter of days, Murray will get one last chance at his favorite team to play. No doubt, the two games will have postseason implications, making them weigh largely. Considering the past series against Denver, the Badgers could definitely use late-game heroics from the Minnesota-killer.

“[Murray] gets game-winning goals,” Sauer said. “He comes to play in big games, and certainly when we play [Minnesota] it’s one.”