Wisconsin gets doused in Champaign

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. Sometimes, you get a tough one.

Last night, the Wisconsin basketball team ran into a well-rested and hot-shooting Illinois team that was looking to avenge its Jan. 5 loss to the Badgers in Madison.

The Illini, who experienced a disappointing 2-2 Big Ten start, have made statements in their last two games, dominating an underachieving Iowa squad 77-66 before completely dismantling the Badgers last night, 80-48 in front of a sellout crowd of 16,500.

Illinois dominated every phase of the game, shooting 58 percent from the field and out-rebounding the Badgers 33-27. The Illini had 25 assists on the 30 field goals they converted, while the Badgers had only eight assists total. Illinois also took advantage of its depth; 12 different players scored at least two points.

“I thought they played hard at our place [Jan. 5],” said Badger head coach Bo Ryan. “We just did a better job of taking some things away that we didn’t do tonight. We’re not the type of team that can come back from [a big deficit] as easily as some other teams I’ve seen in the league.”

Once again, Frank Williams was not his normal self against the Badgers, recording three turnovers and scoring only two points. Illinois did not seem to be affected by Williams’ poor play, however, as the hot shooting of the rest of the squad more than made up for the junior point guard’s poor game. Williams, last year’s Big Ten player of the Year, did have a team-high five assists.

Cory Bradford found the stroke that made him Big Ten Freshman of the Year three seasons ago, going 4-6 from three-point range and scoring 16 points, all of them in the first half.

The Illini closed the first half with a 15-4 run in the final 4:13. Bradford contributed 11 points to the run, including a three at the buzzer that put the Illini up 46-23.

“We knew they were going to come after us,” said Badger guard Devin Harris. “They hit a lot of shots in the first half, had good ball movement. We didn’t match their intensity in the first half.”

Kirk Penney, the Badgers’ leading scorer, was constantly pestered by the Illinois defense and scored only five points. Penney also recorded three turnovers.

Illinois shot a blistering 67 percent from long range in the first half, thanks to multiple threes from Bradford, Cook, and Sean Harrington.

Illini forward Robert Archibald played exceptionally, as he abused Badger big men Charlie Wills and Mike Wilkinson. Illinois went to Archibald in the post early and often, and the Badgers were unable to stop his drop step and jump hook. Archibald, the Big Ten leader in field-goal percentage, was a perfect six for six from the field in the game, scoring 14 points.

Freddie Owens and Harris both played well for the Badgers throughout the game, scoring 13 points each. Harris, who ran the point for much of the contest, shot only 2-5 from the field, but hit eight free throws.

Owens shot 6-10 from the field, converting several difficult driving layups. Owens also hit the only three-pointer he attempted.

The Assembly Hall crowd erupted when forward Lucas Johnson entered the game at the 12:36 mark of the first half. Johnson, a 6-foot-8 senior forward, had yet to play this season due to an ACL injury. Johnson’s return was much appreciated by the Illini and their fans, as Illinois was not sure that Johnson, who injured his knee in October, was even going to play this year.

“It was a lot of fun,” said Johnson. “I guess I had some butterflies going in, but after I was on the court, it was just like old times.”

Johnson was his typical self, scoring only five points and recording four fouls, and gave the Illini a toughness that they have been lacking. Johnson displayed exactly what he brings to Illinois when, with 13:00 left in the second half and the Illini up 57-28, he raced after a loose ball that was essentially meaningless and flew headfirst into the Illinois bench.

Also making his return to the Illini lineup was forward Damir Krupalija. Krupalija, who was out with a foot injury, had not played since Dec 22. Krupalija failed to score but grabbed two rebounds, dished out two assists, and had a block.

The Badgers shot a paltry 36 percent from the field, including three for 15 shooting from beyond the arc. Wisconsin hit only 11 of 21 free throws.

Charlie Wills struggled for the Badgers, shooting only 2-11 from the field, including 0-4 from three-point range.

Brian Cook, who managed to stay out of the foul trouble that often plagues him, played well in the first half, scoring from the inside while also hitting two threes. Cook, a 6-foot-10 forward, finished 4-7 from the field, scoring 12 points, and also pulled in a team-high five rebounds.