Sauer’s players hold no grudges about his decision to retire

It hurts when you’re the last to know.

When Jeff Sauer’s decision to retire at the end of this season was leaked early, the newspapers had the story before his players were officially notified.

While the news was shocking, the Badger hockey team doesn’t hold any ill feelings against its head coach for the way in which his retirement plans were revealed. They know this is not what Sauer wanted.

“The whole situation is kind of unfortunate because he is a real team-oriented type of guy,” senior captain Andy Wheeler said. “By having this story leaked early accidentally, it makes him look like an individual, and that’s the last thing he wanted.”

Sauer had originally planned on announcing his retirement at the end of the season at the team’s banquet, but with the secret out in the open, the 20-year UW head coach had to address the situation immediately.

“I wish he could have [retired] on his own terms,” senior assistant captain Kent Davyduke said. “That’s disappointing because he was here so long. He had so much respect, and he treated people with a lot of respect. That upsets me that it wasn’t given back.”

On top of the list of people Sauer respected were his players. After winning NCAA and WCHA championships, preparing his players for the NHL, and competing day in and day out in the league for 20 years, Sauer knows how important his players are to him.

“As I told my team the other day, the only reason I’ve done this is because of them,” Sauer said. “The players we’ve had over the course of time, it’s just been incredible. It’s been a great run from that standpoint. I just thank all the players for all of the things that they have done for me. Not only winning and losing, but having a chance to be a part of their lives.”

That relationship goes both ways, as Sauer’s players also hold their coach in high esteem.

“Coach Sauer is a great person on and off the ice,” former Badger and current Atlanta Thrasher Dany Heatley said. “He’s a coach who really cares about his players and someone who has been a great representative for college hockey. I’m proud to say I played for him.”
It is those deep feelings of respect and admiration that will allow Sauer’s current players to forget about the way in which they heard about their coach’s retirement and focus on the man and coach he was to them during his tenure as the Badgers’ head coach.