Gebisa steps up in Badgerball’s victory

When Ebba Gebisa walked onto the court to replace center Emily Ashbaugh midway through the first half, she didn’t really excite the audience. Nine games into her career, the freshman had never scored more than 12 points in a game, and as the Badgers’ first frontcourt reserve, she had filled her role as a dependable sub but hadn’t leapt into go-to-player status.

Yet, as Gebisa ceded her place on the floor for the game’s final 2:19, the cheer that erupted from the 5,300-person crowd might have led casual observers to believe Gebisa was a four-year all-American, leaving the Kohl Center forever.

Spectators stood and applauded with their hands and their voices. It was a delayed cheer, as if the fans didn’t immediately realize Gebisa’s departure and wanted to make sure they showed her how they felt. You could call it impolite applause, the kind usually saved for the fans’ most well-known and loved players. Gebisa’s final ovation even rang louder than senior forward Jessie Stomski’s, who left the game with 27 points and 11 rebounds.

“It was Ebba Gebisa’s best game since she’s been here,” UW head coach Jane Albright said. “She had a really great day of practice yesterday, and most coaches believe that you come out and play like you practice.

“One of my assistants said they bet Ebba had a great game tonight, and she certainly proved to do that.”

Gebisa certainly deserved the decibels. In 24 minutes she scored 15 points, grabbed six rebounds and anchored a press defense that forced UW-Milwaukee into numerous throwaways. Gebisa also sank five of six free throws to steady her team on a night when the other Badgers looked shaky from the free-throw line, hitting just 12 of 24.

Ten games into the season, Gebisa has emerged as the Badgers’ most consistent reserve. Before Tuesday night, her game averages stood at five points and three rebounds. These are definitely not dominating numbers, but Gebisa’s role on the Badgers hasn’t asked for domination; Wisconsin already has seniors Stomski, Tamara Moore and Kyle Black to overwhelm opponents. When Gebisa enters, she often tends to the game’s unheralded details, such as fundamentally sound defense, boxing out and the mundane art of free-throw shooting.

“Ebba just comes in and is a huge spark for us, I think most noticeably on the press,” Stomski said. “She’s everywhere, you know, and that is really what makes our press effective.

“Offensively, defensively, on the boards — she just works hard every possession.”

Although Wisconsin lists Gebisa as a reserve forward, she splits minutes half and half with starting center Emily Ashbaugh (each averages 20 minutes per game, and Gebisa usually enters as a sub for Ashbaugh). When needed, Gebisa also fills in for Stomski. It’s an extra bonus for Wisconsin — and an extra headache for opponents — that Gebisa plays so quickly and athletically, as opposed to Ashbaugh’s and Stomski’s low-block, slam-dance styles.

“They’re different players,” UW-Milwaukee head coach Sandy Botham said after Tuesday’s game. “[Gebisa’s] athleticism, they really took advantage of it.”
As Albright has professed since October, her players this year seem to understand and, more importantly, accept their roles. While in recent years some players would fire their first score-sheet glances at the “minutes played” column, Albright says this year’s team, from the wunderkinds to the walk-ons, has made its goal clear: win. No more, no less.
“The scary thing about Wisconsin is that they’ve got the Gebisas coming off the bench,” Botham said. “That to me is the sign of a great team. If Stomski’s having an off night or Ashbaugh’s having an off night, that somebody like [Gebisa] can come in and pick up where they left off.”