Hultgren prepares to go up against former team

The McCoys have the Hatfields, the Lakers had the Celtics, and the Packers have “da” Bears.

These rivalries run strong through the veins of all associated with them, and it is a bond that never goes away.

When the Wisconsin women’s volleyball team faces off with Texas A&M Friday in the regional semifinals of the NCAA volleyball tournament, they can be thankful that the rivalry between Texas and Texas A&M never leaves the players that were involved in it.

When the season opened up this year, there were new faces gracing the volleyball court at the UW Field House.

One of those faces belonged to junior middle blocker Amy Hultgren. Hultgren had joined the Badgers after being a member of the Texas Longhorn squad. While at Texas, Hultgren quickly learned that the blood between the Aggies and Longhorns was no laughing matter.

“The Texas/Texas A&M competition is a rivalry that goes on down there and is one of the fiercest in the nation,” said Hultgren. “It happens on the court, in the stands, and even in the parking lots. It’s crazy, it really is.”

Despite the troubles Hultgren had at Texas, she has molded well into the Wisconsin system so far. Hultgren and some of the people involved with the Texas program did not see eye to eye on certain issues, and she decided to take the advice of former Badger Meghan Kohen. Kohen told Hultgren how much she loved Wisconsin and that she felt that Hultgren would fit in well here.

Hultgren took the advice; her choice seems to have been a wise one. So far this season Hultgren has stepped up to record 1.81 kills per game and 1.09 blocks per game. Her .327 hitting percentage is second on the team only to that of all-Big Ten Sherisa Livingston.

So far she has no regrets about her decision to come to Madison.

When asked if she would have preferred facing off against Texas rather than A&M, Hultgren couldn’t decide.

“I really didn’t know how to feel about Texas because that was such a bizarre time for me because I had so much problems with the program,” said Hultgren. “It was almost easier to pretend that it didn’t happen and to move forward, and I’ve had such a great time here at Wisconsin.”

Head coach Pete Waite has been pleased with the performance that Hultgren has added to the team.

“She’s been coming on in the past couple of weeks and becoming more of a factor that people have to deal with,” said Waite.

While Hultgren is basking in the opportunity to face off with an old foe, she, along with the rest of the team, has not forgotten the task at hand.

After reaching the finals of the tournament last year, Wisconsin is once again aiming at a national championship run. However, before they can begin to think about that, they know that they have to get through A&M first. The players and coaches alike are taking the tournament one game at a time.

To reach their ultimate goal, the Badgers will rely on their strength, ball control, and depth to lead the way, but they will also not turn away any extra motivation or advantage they can get.

Hultgren admitted that playing in the NCAA tournament alone is enough motivation for her to be ready come game time, but the added edge of playing Texas A&M will not hurt.

“Last year [Texas] played [A&M] for the last game of the season, and as a team we didn’t play as well as we would have liked to,” said Hultgren. “So even with a whole new group of individuals, there is some inner motivation … Once you get to this point, though, you don’t need any more motivation, but I’m willing to take it for this match.”

Waite knows that his players are motivated, but he is also taking advantage of having Hultgren to give the Badgers an inside edge.

“It’s a nice addition because she knows a little about the program [of Texas A&M] and has a history against them,” said Waite. “We’ll take any advantage we can get.”