Badgers will play spoiler role against Michigan

When the Michigan Wolverines take the field against the Wisconsin Badgers on Saturday, the Big Ten title will be on the line.

Just not for the Badgers.

With Wisconsin sitting on a 5-5 record, including 3-3 in Big Ten play, a shot at a conference championship, which includes a New Year’s-day trip to the Florida Citrus Bowl, is out of the question.

The Wolverines, on the other hand, are tied with Illinois for the top spot in the Big Ten, with a 5-1 record in conference.

The last three years Wisconsin has played Michigan, the Badgers have been in the thick of the conference-championship hunt, giving the game even greater significance than the supposed rivalry between the two squads can provide. This year the Badgers will have a new role: not that of contender, but of spoiler.

Michigan’s crushing loss two weeks ago at Michigan State destroyed any national-championship aspirations the Wolverines may have had, but they have certainly not given up on securing the Big Ten championship. The 11th-ranked Wolverines will most likely have to win out the rest of their schedule to clinch the title. Illinois is breathing down Michigan’s neck, and Ohio State, who plays the Wolverines in their annual showdown next week, is a close second, sitting at 4-2 in the conference.

The Badgers hope to throw a monkey wrench in Michigan’s title aspirations this weekend, but also look for some redemption against a team that has historically been one of their toughest opponents. Michigan leads the all-time series 45-10-1 and has emerged from the last four contests victorious. In Camp Randall, the Badgers have lost 19 games against the Wolverines and won only three, a stat the Badgers hope to shift a little more in their favor on Saturday.

It will be a difficult task, as the Wolverines will bring a dominating defense and one of the best playmakers in the nation to go along with their arsenal of trick plays and blocked punts. They also have no intentions of relenting against a Badger defense that has often looked suspect throughout the season.

Marquise Walker, the Wolverines’ stud wideout, will be the main offensive threat Wisconsin will have to deal with. The multitalented Walker has accumulated 869 yards and nine touchdowns on 62 catches this season and has starred on special teams as well.

“He’s a big part of their offense,” Wisconsin head coach Barry Alvarez said of Walker. “They’re really effective at getting his hands on the ball, and then he’s made things happen. He really is an outstanding receiver.”

Mike Echols, who has been by far the most consistent defensive back for the Badgers this season, will handle most of the cover duties against Walker on Saturday.

Walker would probably not be as productive as he has been this season without the big arm of John Navarre throwing him the ball. The 6-foot-6 Navarre played his prep ball at Cudahy High School, outside of Milwaukee.

Navarre, who succeeded the ultra-talented Drew Henson at QB after Henson decided to ditch football and sign with the Yankees, needs only 69 yards to eclipse the 2,000-yard mark for the season. While he hasn’t been remarkably efficient, completing only 56 percent of his passes, he has thrown 14 touchdown passes, compared with only seven interceptions.

B.J. Askew has been the man for the Wolverines on the ground, amassing 727 yards and nine touchdowns. He is also tied for second on the team with 22 receptions, one for a touchdown.

Michigan’s Lloyd Carr is not a coach who is afraid of employing a little trickery on offense. Walker and other Wolverines have gotten the ball numerous times on reverses. Against Illinois, a flea-flicker to dangerous backup QB Jermaine Gonzales and a halfback pass on the ensuing play gave Michigan a 7-3 lead before running away with the game, which it won 45-20.

For years great defenses have been a Michigan trademark, and this year’s edition is no different. It ranks fifth in the nation in total defense, and has allowed only four touchdowns on the season.

The unit is led by inside linebacker Larry Foote, who has amassed 59 tackles and six sacks so far this year. Foote, who leads the nation with 23 tackles-for-loss, was named a semifinalist for the Butkus Award, given annually to the nation’s best linebacker.

“From what I understand they play solid,” said tight end Mark Anelli. “They fly around, they play very well together, they have good schemes, and they’re a typical Michigan defense. They’re a little bit better than they were last year, a little older than they were last year.”

Collectively, the unit has totaled 42 sacks, has limited its opponents to 75.1 rushing yards per game and should provide quite a challenge for QB Brooks Bollinger, running back Anthony Davis and the Wisconsin offensive line.

“I think those guys have matured,” Alvarez said. “A lot of the people up front were young starters last year. They were guys that, because of injuries, were thrown in there, and they tried to use their movement a lot to their advantage last year. I think that has helped them. I think, consequently, they’re the best defense we’ll have seen.”

Michigan has been the best team the Big Ten has seen this season, but with an opportunity to erase that distinction and simultaneously take a step closer to being bowl-eligible with a victory, the Badgers are surely prepared and excited.

“When you play a team like Michigan, you have to play your best,” Anelli said. “They’re there every year. They get top recruiting, they play well. It’s a one-game playoff system for us right now. We have to play our best ball now to win every game.”