Wisconsin downs AIA 82-57

When the Athletes in Action basketball team stepped onto the floor at the Kohl Center, they expected to see a young, inexperienced Wisconsin team. What they didn’t expect was to be beaten in every phase of the game by a team made up of more freshmen than upperclassmen.

A Badger squad supposedly undergoing a rebuilding year defeated the AIA squad 82-57 in front of a crowd of 14,652 Tuesday night. True freshman Devin Harris led all scorers with 19 points while shooting 5-8 from the field. Harris also led the team with six assists. This marked the second consecutive game that Harris led the Badgers in scoring.

Freshman forward Mike Wilkinson scored 13 points on 5-7 shooting, including 3 for 3 from three-point range. Guard Kirk Penney tallied 15 points and showed his versatility by scoring in a variety of ways. Penney, who focused mainly on three-point shooting last season, displayed a good array of moves in the post, ran the floor, and finished on the break, as well as hitting two of five threes.

The Badgers jumped out to an early 4-0 lead after consecutive scores on good post moves by center Dave Mader and point guard Travon Davis. The Badgers continued to shoot a high percentage throughout the half, but the long-range shooting capabilities of the AIA squad kept them in the game. Five different AIA players hit a three-pointer in the first half, led by guard Damien Long, who went 2-3.

After a three-pointer by guard Joe Smith put AIA up 22-23, Harris, displaying maturity beyond his years, decided to take matters into his own hands. After a Kirk Penney miss, Harris stole the ball from Long, was fouled, and converted both free throws to put the Badgers in the lead.

Two possessions later, Harris made what was by far the most spectacular play of the game. As 6-foot-9 Derek Grimm went up for a layup, Harris, who is listed at 6-foot-3, elevated and rejected Grimm’s shot attempt. The loose ball found its way to Davis, who pushed the ball and found Harris, who had sprinted down the floor ahead of the AIA defenders, wide open on the wing. Harris knocked down an open three to put the Badgers ahead 29-23, and they never looked back.

“I was really impressed with Harris because he didn’t play like a true freshman,” said AIA coach Chuck Badger. “He hit the big shots when he needed to.”

The Badgers dominated the second half as the AIA’s hot hands cooled down considerably. After shooting 50 percent from the floor and 46 percent from beyond the arc, AIA made only 32 percent of their shots in the second half.

The lone bright spot for AIA in the second half was Joe Smith, who hit three of five three-pointers and had 11 points in the period.

AIA made one run in the second half, scoring eight quick points to cut the lead to 63-53. Forward Charlie Wills squelched any threat of a comeback with a strong finish while being fouled by Long. Wills converted the three-point play, and AIA never got within 13 points of the Badgers for the remainder of the game.

The Badgers scored 28 points in the paint, compared to 10 by AIA, and had 20 points off turnovers. AIA was out-rebounded 33-29, and shot only 40 percent from the field and 55 percent from the free-throw stripe, compared with the 52 and 83 percent, respectively, posted by the Badgers.

UW head coach Bo Ryan played nine different players in the game, four of whom were freshmen. Freshman guards Clayton Hansen and Neil Plank saw good playing time, and both hit a three-pointer.

Sophomores Dave Mader and Freddie Owens, who saw limited playing time last year, both played solid games. Owens scored seven points in 15 minutes, while Mader collected five rebounds to go with his two points.

Overall, the Badgers’ youngsters don’t seem to be shying away from the bright lights of NCAA Division I basketball.
“The younger guys are stepping in there and playing well,” said Wills. “They’ve showed in practice that they’re able to step back and hit the shot, and they’re willing to take the consequences that come with it, whether they miss it or make it. They’re showing that they can definitely provide.”
Harris, especially, has shown a tremendous amount of poise and confidence in his first two games, displaying flashes of brilliance and minimizing the mistakes youngsters often make. He finished the game with six assists and no turnovers.
“I had a couple turnovers [against the EA Sports All-Stars] on Saturday,” Harris said. “I just came out and tried to find my teammates a little more. I’m pretty relaxed out there. I try to be. I’m just trying to stay consistent in everything I do.”