Almost déjàvu against the Spartans

For a while it looked like Wisconsin was experiencing a severe case of déjàvu.

With just over five minutes left in the third quarter, starting quarterback Jim Sorgi suffered a concussion when he was hit after rushing for eight yards. Sorgi (10-19 passes, 191 yards) would be forced to sit on the sidelines for the remainder of the game, putting third-string quarterback Matt Schabert (10-18 passing, 177 yards) under center.

This is reminiscent of last year’s contest with Michigan State, when starter Brooks Bollinger was forced to leave with a concussion and Sorgi saw his first playing time as a Badger. Only this time it was Schabert seeing his first playing time and Sorgi being treated.

“I really thought [Schabert] responded well, much like Sorgi did a year ago the first time he got in,” UW head coach Barry Alvarez said. “He was well prepared ? he had his checks down, threw the ball well, showed composure, scrambled. That’s probably as good as I’ve ever seen him play.”

With Sorgi pacing the sidelines under the careful watch of the UW trainers and Bollinger still out with a pulled groin and hip flexor that he suffered last week against Illinois, Schabert was left to try to bring the Badgers back from their 21-14 deficit.

On his first series it looked like he just might be able to do it. After handing the ball off to Anthony Davis on his first snap as a Badger, Schabert went to the air in his next two plays. The first short pass he threw was incomplete to Nick Davis, but the next attempt would prove more successful.

In his third down in collegiate football action Schabert launched the ball to Lee Evans for a 70-yard touchdown reception. This aerial attack surprised the 79,108 in attendance, as well as the recipient of the pass.

“I didn’t think that [the coaches] would just let him air it out like that,” Evans said. “But they did, and that just shows the confidence that the coaches have in him.”

According to Schabert, that display of confidence from the coaches and the call for the long ball really did make the difference in his performance.

“I think it helped a lot having the deep ball first,” Schabert said. “It just showed that [the coaches] had confidence in me and they thought I could get the job done. When you come [into the game] that early and they give you that boost of confidence, it helps you out for the rest of the time you’re in there.”

The long touchdown pass to Evans would not be the last time Schabert would score in the game.

Almost an entire quarter later, with 5:13 left on the clock, the third-string quarterback connected with senior tight end Mark Anelli for a late score.

The 13-yard touchdown pass wasn’t enough to overcome the 42-28 deficit on the scoreboard, but it did show that Bollinger and Sorgi aren’t the only quarterbacks on this UW squad.

“I think there’s always been more than two quarterbacks on this team,” Schabert said. “The guys here knew it because we’ve been around it all the time and everybody else doesn’t get that chance [to see it] a lot.”

If the injury situation stays as it is right now there is a chance Schabert will have a chance to show his skills again ? and soon.

Following the game Alvarez said that Bollinger didn’t play against Michigan State because his mobility still wasn’t 100 percent. The head coach also said that he didn’t know the extent of Sorgi’s head injury.

However, Schabert said that he talked to Sorgi on the sidelines and that his physical state was stable, but that it was his emotional condition that suffered a bit more.

“He was all right,” Schabert said of Sorgi. “I think he was just more disappointed that [the Spartans] knocked him out. He always wants to stay in there and play as much as he can. He’s a playmaker, he’s a great guy, and he wants to give 110 percent all the time.”

If Sorgi’s recovery is prolonged, as well as that of Bollinger, Schabert could see the start against Iowa next week. And if that time comes, don’t expect the redshirt freshman to shy away from the opportunity.

“[I’m] always ready,” Schabert said.