New faces saturate basketball team

What a difference a year makes.

Last season the Wisconsin men’s basketball team opened practice with the luxury of knowing that they could rely on a group of seasoned veterans to lead the team. This year the Badgers opened their early-season practices by adding bodies to a team that has seen 10 players leave the program through graduation, transfer or medical conditions.

Just one full season removed from a 2000 Final Four appearance, and a few months since the departures of former seniors Roy Boone, Mike Kelley, Andy Kowske, Maurice Linton and Mark Vershaw, the Badgers have added three walk-ons to their roster.

The additions of these three players ? Brent Boetcher, Michael Jackson and Max Peek ? have been a positive experience for the team, according to UW head coach Bo Ryan.

“With walk-ons you want people who consider it a privilege to be out there on the floor and be a part of the team, and that is what they have done,” Ryan said.

These new walk-ons should help with the transition from the old styles of former coaches Dick Bennett and Brad Soderberg to the new system used by Ryan. The new coach’s up-tempo style of basketball stresses athleticism, something that UW arguably has not had much of in the past. UW coaches recruited two of their walk-ons, Boetcher and Jackson, from the track team in an effort to bring in more speed and athletic ability.

“Two guys are on the track team, and the way Max jumps and runs I thought maybe he was too,” Ryan said. “These guys are athletic, hungry, and they are three lively guys who like to play basketball and were anxious to get out there with our guys. They have done an excellent job.”

The walk-ons are definitely pleased to be practicing with the team and are viewing the situation as an opportunity to contribute to the Wisconsin basketball program.

“It has been a great experience,” Peek said. You come in knowing that you are like everyone else. You go in and do whatever you can to make the team better every day.”

Also rejoining the Badger squad is sophomore Ike Ukawuba, who saw very limited playing time as a member of the Badger team last season. Ukawuba scored just two points while appearing in only five games. However, Ryan was pleased to have Ukawuba’s experience back at practice, after the sophomore had previously left the team during the off-season.

“Ike is actually the 15th guy on the team,” Ryan said. “He understands offensively and defensively what we’re trying to do.”

Young Team Improving: With freshmen making up over half of UW’s roster, and only three players returning who have significant game experience, the Badgers are focusing on the fundamentals.

“Right now it is everyday going from practice to practice,” Ryan said. “It is, ‘Are we better at this drill than we were yesterday?’ We are not discussing opponents or other teams that we are playing. Right now the game is what we’re trying to play. We’re going to get an understanding of the basics first.”

And so far the UW players are pleased with the improvement that the team has already shown through just one week of practice.

“With any young team, once you get started, improvement comes pretty quickly,” redshirt freshman Mike Wilkinson said. “We can already see it from day to day and drill to drill in everything that has been going on.”

Ready to Run: Ryan has emphasized conditioning of the players to a greater extent than the players have been accustomed to under the previous coaches. However, players haven’t complained about it and feel like they are in great shape after only a week of practices.

“There is more running, we’ve been running a lot of hills,” said sophomore center Dave Mader. “I would say conditioning is definitely harder this year. With all the conditioning we expect more running up and down this season.”

The team’s freshmen recruits have held up well thus far through practices and conditioning and feel like they have a great chance to contribute to the team.

“It’s a bit different in terms of training and preseason work, but playing on the court is just the same,” freshman Devin Harris said. “You have a job to do and you have to work hard.”

Open Scrimmage Set for Oct. 27: The public will be allowed their first look at the young Badger team in a one-hour intra-squad scrimmage to be held Saturday Oct. 27 prior to the Wisconsin vs. Michigan State football game.