With Randle El in town, UW’s offense must produce

After reviewing the videotapes of Saturday’s game, coach Barry Alvarez was still searching Monday for explanations for his team’s performance.

After gaining only 334 yards, the Badgers’ lowest total of the season, against Western Kentucky, Wisconsin needs to make improvements before the offense of Antwaan Randle El and Indiana come to town next week.

Wisconsin’s winningest head coach knows what to do to get his offense ready to face the Hoosiers.

“Offensively, we’ll have to make corrections, which is what we do every week,” said Alvarez. “As coach, I have to get the players’ attentions and show them how they can improve and get better to help us win.”

If anything is going to grab his team’s attention, it’s the prospect of going up against Randle El. Indiana’s multitalented quarterback brings a threatening athletic ability to the table, which enables him to be a force both under center and downfield as wide receiver.

Randle El was going to focus on playing at receiver this season, a position change Alvarez credits to Randle El trying to prepare for the NFL, but has since been moved to quarterback full time.

And according to Alvarez, this makes him even more dangerous than before.

“He’s going to have the ball every snap, so you’ve got to prepare for option every snap; you’ve got to prepare for quarterback draw,” Alvarez said.

While UW’s defense has to defend Randle El’s versatile attack, the offense has to produce enough offense to compete with the Hoosiers.

Both Badger quarterbacks split time during last week’s game, and both turned in dismal performances. Jim Sorgi threw two interceptions while throwing for 91 yards. Starter Brooks Bollinger did not fair any better. Bollinger only completed three passes and scrambled for 44 yards.

Bollinger felt the two-quarterback system was not to blame for Wisconsin’s lack of consistency on offense.

“Jim and I are both comfortable with the quarterback situation,” said Bollinger. “We’ve been rotating in practice, and everyone in the offense is comfortable with either quarterback. We both mentally prepare like we’re going to be in every series.”

The two-quarterback system has functioned under the protection of freshman safety net Anthony Davis. Both quarterbacks have the luxury of handing the ball off to Davis, the nation’s fourth leading rusher. On Saturday, he added a spark to the offense, rushing for 89 yards and scoring two first-half touchdowns.

But besides Davis’ effort, no other Badger on offense stepped up against the Hilltoppers, and Wisconsin struggled to move the ball in the second half.

“We need a better tempo and be able to come out and set the pace of the game,” said Bollinger. “There’s going to be times when certain plays don’t work during a game as they are drawn out, but you have to at least be sharp and have some consistency on offense.”

Wisconsin’s offense will need consistency this weekend, and they may be aided by Indiana’s struggling defense.

The Hoosiers rank last in the Big Ten in scoring defense, giving up an average of 30 points per game, ninth in pass defense and eighth in rushing defense.

Yet even with the defensive woes 0-3 Indiana is facing, the Badgers need to establish a dominating offensive tone. The team must come out with some enthusiasm, which is something Bollinger admitted was missing last weekend.

“We definitely just didn’t have the edge coming out onto the field, and we never really found it throughout the whole football game.”

This weekend the Badgers must have that edge, especially with the prospect of a struggling defense and the need to show up to compete with Randle El.