56 straight: Germantown captures second-consecutive Division 1 title

Perfection.

It’s something few teams can boast. But, with Wisconsin Mr. Basketball winner Luke Fischer leading the way, Germantown can now say they’ve done it two consecutive years.

And, well, they can say they’ve won 56 straight games, too.

Being named the MVP of the tournament and finishing the game with 17 points and seven rebounds, Fischer led Germantown (28-0) past Mukwonago (23-5) 57-28 Saturday night at the Kohl Center, capping the program’s second-straight perfect season.

“It’s been a long journey and a long March to get here,” Germantown head coach Steve Showalter said. “Once we did it once, it was much more difficult to do it again. This game, while the score probably doesn’t reflect it as much as it reflects inside of me, this game was a battle, a war, a struggle the whole way.”

It wasn’t the usual way of victory for Germantown. The usual hot-scoring hands of juniors Jake Showalter and Lamonte Bearden were limited to a combined eight points and the team’s prolific offense was held below 60 points for the first time all season.

The transition opportunities weren’t there either, as Mukwonago’s physical, tough style of play allowed its opponent only four fast-break points and brought the pace of the game to a grinding halt in a half-court slugfest.

The game was tight the entire first half, with Germantown holding a 25-18 lead going into the break thanks to a layup from Fischer with 42 seconds left.

While Germantown is known as an offensive team, it was the group’s defense that got the job done to capture the State Championship. The Warhawks held their opponent to just 20.9 percent shooting from the field and didn’t allow a single Indians’ player to get into double digits.

“Germantown is a heck of a basketball team,” Mukwonago head coach Jim Haasser said. “I thought we battled about as hard as we could battle. I’m very proud of the boys. I thought we competed right up to the end.”

The Warhawks’ balance and depth proved too much for the Indians to handle throughout the game. Every time Mukwonago would make a run or spark their fans to life, Germantown had an answer, as all six players in its rotation scored.

Fischer, a member of the Indiana Hoosiers’ 2013 recruiting class, made his presence known in the game, going 8-for-10 from the field with high percentage looks while contesting every rebound in the paint.

But, Mukwonago made a point to attack the 7-footer early in the game, as their strong game around the rim forced Fischer into two quick fouls in the first quarter and limited him to just 12 minutes in the first half. Still, Fischer scored 11 points, including seven in the second quarter after checking back in.

Just a day earlier, Fischer had enjoyed exerting low block position on Oshkosh North in the semifinals, but against a physically-gifted Indians’ squad Fischer found himself many times far out of the paint.

“It wasn’t like last night where I could float around and have the ball lobbed up to me,” Fischer said. “I had to work for it and we all did a great job busting our butts to try to get offensive rebounds, but they’re just a big solid team.”

Fatigue finally worked its way into Mukwonago in the game’s final eight minutes. Entering the fourth quarter trailing 36-22, the Indians whittled the Warhawks’ lead down to 10 with 5:23 left in the game. But, the floodgates burst open, as Germantown went on a final and season-defining run, scoring 19 consecutive unanswered points to close the game while not allowing their opponent to score a single point.

“We just kept missing shot after shot,” Mukwonago junior Dominic Cizauskas said, who finished with nine points to lead his team. “We shot awful, it was pretty bad. We just weren’t hitting anything.”

The Indians played with a short rotation, as every starter logged more than 24 minutes of play in the game. But, a day removed from winning a tremendously physical game against Milwaukee King, it became apparent there wasn’t much gas left in the tank, as the team committed uncharacteristically sloppy passes and shots in the final minutes of the game.

“80-2 in three years, that’s a pretty good record for Luke Fischer and our team,” Showalter said. “Winning is so much sweeter. We’re going to do whatever we can to keep something going here.”