Barriques Coffee Trader

[media-credit name=’JAKE NAUGHTON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Barriques_JN[/media-credit]With so many equally distinct coffee shops littered around the streets of downtown Madison, it is quite likely one could find himself unsure of where to turn. Let me make it easy for you: Head off the heavily trodden path of State Street to the wide corner of West Washington and Fairchild Street, where just a block from the Capitol Square is Barriques Coffee Trader, an oasis for any coffee, wine or café enthusiast.

Upon entering, one is immediately struck by the expansive open spaces. The sapphire and brown painted walls are accented by rich, mahogany floors and worn wooden tables and chairs. A second-floor galley indulges in deep, high-backed ruby red chairs and a unique rustic ledge — the abstract creation of a local artist. The artwork, featuring black-and-white photographs of long-gone locals going about their daily business, is courtesy of the Madison Historical Society.

The menu features an array of coffee drinks, complemented with fresh-baked pastries and desserts. The breakfast menu offers several items, from "Bolio Granolio" to quiche, and a light lunch menu serves soups, salads and sandwiches (the Wisconsin Dip grilled cheese with chicken coconut curry soup is highly recommended). A large appeal, though, is the fabled Wall of 100, a fine selection of trendy bottles of vino, very reasonably priced.

"The atmosphere is amazing, it's the best of both worlds," manager Tracy Mundy said in an interview with The Badger Herald. "You can have coffee in the morning, then wine in the evening. I think that's a really great draw to Barriques."

For a Madison-based, locally-owned café, Barriques serves a diverse populace, ranging from students to older business people seeking a laid-back haven to rest. Free Wi-Fi and excellent food and wine aside, Barriques encompasses the modern café ambiance with grace, setting the perfect mood for anything from late-afternoon study sessions to a trendy hotspot for enjoying a glass of pinot noir with friends.