Wisconsin staff pitching their way to prominence

When looking at the streaking Badgers’ softball team, it’s not that hard to realize the key to its success. The pitching staff has put up solid performances every week and kept the opponents off the board. 

On the season, the group has maintained a 1.54 ERA and kept its opponents’ to a batting average of .233.

This weekend, Wisconsin’s staff helped lead the team to a 4-0 record in the Louisville Classic, thanks to the efforts of all three members of its rotation. Aside from their game against Ball State, the Badgers’ pitchers held their opponents to two runs or less every game during the tournament.

Two weeks ago, the UW pitching staff pulled off a dominant weekend at the Saluki Invitational. The group gave up five runs – only three of them earned – on 20 hits. The teams’ .72 ERA over the weekend was impressive to say the least. The outstanding pitching performance in the tournament was led by senior Meghan McIntosh, who gave up zero earned runs in her two starts.

McIntosh was lights out in her first start of the weekend, shutting out Belmont and giving up just four hits. In her second start on Sunday, McIntosh picked up where she left off on Saturday and threw her first no-hitter against a tough Eastern Kentucky squad – the second for the team this year.

“I didn’t really know I had a no-hitter until it was over,” McIntosh said. “It was definitely a fun experience.”

Even though McIntosh was unaware of the situation her team and coaches were holding their breath. Going into the 7th inning, Meghan’s pitching coach, Tracie Adix, and fellow pitcher freshman Taylor-Paige Stewart sat in silent anticipation as they watched the final outs being recorded.

“Meghan works really hard,” Wisconsin head coach Yvette Healy said. “She is one of the best leaders on our team, and everyone cheers for her to do well. ”

McIntosh’s performances that weekend led to her being named the Big Ten Pitcher of the Week. With that honor given, all three of the pitchers for the Badgers have been awarded a player of the week honor by the Big Ten this season. Junior pitcher Cassandra Darrah was awarded the same honor after her own no-hitter earlier this season against Georgia Southern. Stewart won the Freshman of the Week award two weeks ago after some key performances in the 2013 Easton Invitational out in California.

“Coach Adix really stresses on us ‘Every pitch. Every play. Every Game,'” McIntosh said. “I really think we have all taken that to heart, and it allows us to be mentally prepared for each start.”

While the girls are thanking their coaches for their early success, the coaches are praising the pitchers for their hard work and determination.

“I think one of the biggest differences is our staff is in really good shape,” Adix said. “They worked hard in the fall and winter and beginning of spring to prepare themselves so they can go into the games never doubting themselves.”

No matter what has attributed to the recent success of the Wisconsin pitchers, one thing is for certain: The ladies are on a roll. They have recorded 147 strikeouts, allowed only 38 earned runs and held their opponents to a sluggish slugging percentage of just .295 on the season.

There is no doubt that the pitching have been on fire, but when will that fire go out? In softball, teams learn how to adjust for different pitchers and numbers tend to fade.

“Obviously when you get deeper into a season more scouting reports go out on your team,” Adix said. “People kind of understand how each pitcher throws and pick up on their tendencies.”

Like any other challenge, the girls on the team are stepping up to the plate, so to speak, to take the challenge head on. The girls who will take the pitcher’s mound, though facing harder opponents, have the confidence to fight.

“I am just going to build off that success and keep my confidence high,” McIntosh said. “I know the pitches that were working for me and I am going to keep throwing them.”

Only time will tell if this pitching lineup can hold up against the heavy-hitting teams they still have on the schedule. However, if this trend continues, we could be looking at one of the strongest and most consistent starting lineups in Wisconsin softball history.