Badgers look to continue streak

After starting the young season with six consecutive losses, three of which were by one run each, the Badger’s softball team left the ‘Bama Bash tournament last weekend on a hot streak. The team closed out the weekend’s affairs with two straight victories over quality opponents.

The first win of the season came at the hands of East Carolina and could be attributed to the starting pitching of senior Leah Vanevenhoven, who threw six innings of shutout ball. Vanevenhoven, combined with lights out reliever Letty Olivarez, held the Pirates to five hits throughout the entire game in the Badger’s 3-1 victory. Olivarez came in with an inherited runner on second, and although she surrendered the Pirates’ lone run, any hope for a comeback was diminished when she struck out the final batter of the game.

The tandem would not be outdone.

The following day the two teamed up again to hand Notre Dame its third loss of the season. Vanevenhoven and Olivarez combined to pitch a three hit shutout in the Badgers’ 2-0 win.

In the bottom of the third inning, Olivarez ultimately helped the cause when she cranked a two-run homer over the left field wall, giving the Badgers the early lead. Once Olivarez replaced Vanevenhoven in the circle, ironically, it was the latter player’s arm who preserved the lead. Vanevenhoven tracked down a deep fly to right field with a runner on third, and then gunned her out after the runner tagged up. Olivarez’s two saves and Vanevenhoven’s 2-0 record with a .7 ERA over ten innings earned them both spots on the tournament team.

This weekend the team travels to Albuquerque, N.M., where it will play five games between Friday and Sunday at the Lobo Invitational. This upcoming tournament represents a softer part of the Badgers’ brutal early season schedule, as none of the teams the Badgers will play have cracked the NCAAs top 25.

At last weekend’s tournament, the Badgers faced Alabama, the nation’s No.1 team. Combined with games against Long Beach State, Fresno State and Notre Dame, all teams that have been ranked in the polls or received votes for the top 25, and the 2-6 record is understandable. This weekend the Badgers will face Texas Tech twice, Drake twice and New Mexico once — all teams that haven’t even broken the top 25.

The New Mexico Lobos bring a 3-5 record to their own tournament while the Texas Tech Red Raiders come in riding a six-game losing streak. Granted, the Badgers are only 2-6, but with such a difficult early schedule and a two-game win streak over solid programs, the Badgers have plenty to be optimistic about.

Not only will Vanevenhoven’s arm be crucial to this weekend success, but her team best .444 batting average at last weekend’s tournament will also be vital if the Badgers are to have any success this weekend.

Another key component to the Badger’s offensive attack will have to be senior Nicole Whaley, who is hitting .286 with five RBIs and four walks while playing one of softball’s most demanding positions: catcher.

Regardless of who steps up this weekend, their efforts will be negligible if the Badgers don’t maintain their current trend of strong pitching and defense.