Keeping The Badger Herald honest

Nobody is perfect, but most news organizations pretend they are. They make a mistake, acknowledge it in a space too few will see and pat themselves on the back for being magnanimous. The reasons why they make mistakes or difficult editorial decisions are left to internal politics, which shield an editorial staff from public criticism that although painful, makes for better reporters and a better newspaper.

The Badger Herald, to its great credit, is not a newspaper that hides from criticism. This semester, I will be serving as the Herald’s public editor. That means I will be the readers’ advocate on these pages. I will use my unique access to The Badger Herald staff to investigate your complaints about its reporting. I will hold this newspaper to a standard that acknowledges its great responsibility to be an accurate and responsible source of information for the student community.

In these first few weeks of the semester, the Herald has already faced some issues which require addressing.

Whether to publish news of a suicide in the Lakeshore dormitories

The UW administration, among others, will normally pressure student newspapers to omit this sort of news from its pages, and this case was no exception. But an independent student newspaper does not serve the administration, or even the grieving.

The article by Signe Brewster made clear that by publishing such tragic news, the Herald sought to perform a service by reminding students of the dangers of depression and offering resources that can help students cope with these issues. The story featured prominent quotes from the dean of students, who offered her assistance to students who struggle with depression or are worried about their classmates. It also provided phone numbers for UHS: (608) 265-5600 and the Offices of the Dean of Students: (608) 263-5700.

The Herald’s responsibility here was to do everything in their power to prevent a similar tragedy. Publishing this story may help shake students out of complacency and encourage them to seek help. Further, an editor’s note attached to the story was especially tasteful.

Former Herald editor Ken Harris as ASM’s new spokesperson

The news that Ken Harris — a Herald employee who was immensely popular among his colleagues — is now the spokesperson for student government should raise the eyebrows of every long-term Herald reader. This newspaper, after all, has long been a critical (some would say hyper-critical) watchdog of ASM.

I will closely monitor the Herald’s coverage of ASM for any undue influence from Harris. Herald Editor in Chief Jason Smathers acknowledges the potential conflict and says he is determined not to let Harris’ presence in ASM color the Herald’s reporting.

“I’m not going to take Ken Harris’ word,” Smathers said in a phone interview. “I think people know to keep a certain amount of distance.” He later added Harris has been removed from all internal communications.

Former Herald news reporter Kevin Bargnes’ remarks about former College Republican Chair Sarah Mikolajczak

In his new capacity as an opinion columnist, Bargnes, once the news content editor for The Badger Herald, fired a broadside against the former College Republican’s chair. The blistering piece concluded with this statement: “I have to admit something, though — part of me will miss Sara. Her antics were always good for a hardy laugh around the newsroom. But this campus is a better place without her.”

Even in the most objective of newsrooms, most every reporter will be heard giving his or her personal opinions on a range of subjects, and nothing is wrong with that. No journalist is asked to submit themselves to the thought police as a requirement for the job. However, it is always the responsibility of a journalist to try to write objectively.

While there is no reason to believe Bargnes’ writings were ever slanted against Mikolajczak, his invocation of newsroom chatter as a bludgeon against the former College Republicans leader was an insult to his former colleagues, who labor with the philosophical implications of their pledge to be objective.

His statement about the newsroom’s opinion of a public figure should not have been written, and it should not have been printed by the opinion editors or the editor in chief. Smathers acknowledged the mistake but defended the general sentiment of the column, noting the piece should have been put in the context of Bargnes’ conversations with the current College Republican leadership.

“We all have our opinions, but [the column] gives the impression that it’s a biased newsroom,” Smathers said. “I wasn’t happy with the quote.”

Bassey Etim was a former managing editor for The Badger Herald. He is currently a news assistant at The New York Times. Please send your complaints and comments about Herald content to [email protected]. Etim will investigate every complaint.