Voices of UW: ‘These stories are critical in describing what it really feels like to be a marginalized student on UW’s campus’

Courtesy of flickr user Matt Golden

In light of recent events of hate and bias on the University of Wisconsin campus, students have been using #TheRealUW to share their stories. These are not random, isolated events — rather, they are a sign of a chronic issues at UW. These issues affect everyone, and these are a just a few of #TheRealUW stories. Following are a series of letters, submitted by students, highlighting their own individual experiences on campus.

‘This hate is normalized’

I recognized some of these stories from years ago, which proves to me that #TheRealUW is more of an archival tool than some brand new thing describing out-of-place, brand new injustices. These stories are critical in describing what it really feels like to be a marginalized student on University of Wisconsin’s campus before the hashtag emerged. The great thing about the hashtag is that so many experiences are now catalogued and getting attention from people who have the power to act…

Read Hiwot’s full story:

Voices of UW: White students need reformation, examination of normalized hate

‘Events like this aren’t so rare’

On March 12, between the early hours of 1 and 2 a.m., in the “safety” of my dorm floor, I was the victim of a bias incident. What started as my friends and I calling it a night early and heading to my room to watch Netflix, ended with having to give the MPD a statement and watching my neighbor be escorted from the premises for his and our own safety…

Read Synovia’s full story:

Voices of UW: ‘Safety’ is not a privilege minorities have

‘UW uses us as a learning experience’

#TheRealUW is when you are sleeping in your room freshman year and you hear your roommate, who is also in your room five feet away from you, telling someone from your floor he “would have preferred a white roommate,” to which the other person responds, “Well, at least he isn’t black…”

Read Damien’s full story:

Voices of UW: UW uses students of color so our white peers get hired

‘Not feeling safe here’

#TheRealUW is, in not even my first four months of college, I was followed by two guys in a black car who repeatedly honked their horn while simultaneously yelling “FUCK YOU N****R” at me from their car window…

Read Imani’s full story:

Voices of UW: Feeling fearful just walking around campus is #TheRealUW

‘What else are you?’

#TheRealUW is being called “white” and in the same breath asked, “What else are you?” It’s being asked about powwows and spirit animals while also being told, “But you’re not really native…”

Read Alyssa’s full story:

Voices of UW: UW is where I am not native or white enough

‘The real UW is ugly’

Four years ago, around this exact time of year, me and eight other students, predominately of color, were elected into the 19th session of the Associated Students of Madison Student Council. We ran a progressive platform called the BOOP Slate that demanded:

Read Devon’s full story:

Voices of UW: Transparency, reform needed to fix ugly issue of hate

Spitting not ‘mature and respectful’

A true story:

I was walking to the SAC minding my own business when out of no where, this white man, a middle-aged adult might I add, SPITS on me and tells me to “go back to China…”

Read Karie’s full story:

Voices of UW: Spitting, laughing at someone is not ‘mature and respectful’

‘No resources for me’

As young as 4-years-old, my parents told all my siblings that we must go to college, but to get in for free. I did that, thanks to my PEOPLE scholarship. I was excited to attend UW, but eventually I questioned my decision. I had beer bottles and cans thrown at me and was called monkey and n****r on Langdon Street near the frat houses…

Read Launa’s full story:

Voices of UW: There is a lack of resources and empathy on campus

‘Wisconsin experience not for me’

My “Wisconsin Experience” thus far:

Year 1: Consolidation of Ethnics Studies, ‪#‎ItooamUWMadison‬, A Marginalized Student and construction makes the Multicultural Student Center difficult to get to…

Read Lauren’s full story:

Voices of UW: ‘Wisconsin Experience’ for students of color refers to racism, disparity, inequality

‘How can I call myself a Badger’

I went home for Spring Break and saw the difference in the space I filled. For a week or so, I felt that this time, my body was meant to be here. My experience at UW varies on how quickly I can make it from my dorm room to class. I no longer feel that I belong here…

Read Francisco’s full story:

Voices of UW: Badger and brown should go hand in hand

What #TheRealUW is

‪#‎TheRealUW‬ is being told it was easier for me to get accepted because of the color of my skin. It’s looking around in a lecture hall of more than 300 students, and realizing I am one of two women of color present. It’s having a white guy run his dirty, greasy hands over my hair for five minutes at a party without asking my permission…

Read Betty’s full story:

Voices of UW: The added stress of being a minority on campus

‘Never responds to the students and the issues’

#‎TheRealUW‬ is when you travel to the White House to share your story, your work and your recommendations and the next day you and your story as a homeless, first-generation, low-income, disabled, FAFSA-Independent McNair Scholar with $70,000 in student loan debt are featured in an op-ed in the New York Times…

Read Brooke’s full story:

Voices of UW: Lack of help from administration perpetuates problems

‘Being torn down’

#TheRealUW is when people driving by in a car find it necessary and comical to roll down their window and scream “Lalala Allah Akbar” at me and my friend, both hijab-wearing women…

Read Amal’s full story:

Voices of UW: #TheRealUW is Islamophobia, intolerance at expense of hijab-wearing women

Exclusion is #TheRealUW

#TheRealUW is me being a part of group projects where I am the only person of color and not only do the other students actively ignore me when I’m speaking, but deliberately talk over me and exclude me from project decisions, then give a group assessment saying I did not contribute to the project…

Read Nia’s full story:

Voices of UW: Getting ignored, talked over, just another day for a minority

‘There is no excuse’

Before attending UW, I already heard of stories of challenges to diversity and injustices against people of different backgrounds. But, I would have never thought that there are students that have to first focus on surviving the day, and then focus on surviving the classroom.

Read Andre’s full story:

Voices of UW: #TheRealUW from class of 2017 president

‘So that’s what their hair feels like’

#‎TheRealUW‬ is a place where a white man in my African American lit discussion section feels the urge to touch my hair without asking permission…

Read Samantha’s full story:

Voices of UW: Not okay to touch my hair, make bigoted comments