Letter to the editor: Combination of compassion, empathy will rid UW of sexual assault

Watching a video is only first step in a process to rid UW of this crime
UW Men Against Sexual Assault

As a co-founder of “We’re Better Than That” – Men Against Sexual Assault, I’ve seen how the growth of an organization can impact individuals for the better. I’ve witnessed the organization allow victims, survivors and activists share their stories. I’ve experienced the remarkable development of empathy in groups of men as they hear the stories of women personally affected by the horrors of sexual assault. I am writing this article to say that the video we have created, on its own, will not accomplish any of that.

This video has allowed Greek members to acknowledge the disproportionate number of sexual assault cases within their community. It is meant to show the general public that members of the Greek community at University of Wisconsin hold themselves accountable for the sexual assault statistics on campus. Furthermore, the video is meant to show that Greek members want to be part of the solution.

From my experience in Greek life, I know there are many types of individuals that comprise the community. I would be remiss to not mention the presence of a nasty culture that encourages hooking up with women as a way to gain status and notoriety. I’ve lived through the pressures to increase your alcohol tolerance rather than build your character. I know I speak on behalf of many individuals within the community when I say these sort of pressures need to change. But it would be inaccurate to say these pressures exist solely in the Greek community.

‘Finally taking action’: Greek community to implement first major plan to address sexual assault

The second takeaway from this video was the students’ desire to change the culture at UW as a whole. Our organization chose to highlight Greek members because many stigmatize the community as a part of the problem of sexual assault. Many of the pressures and incentives to drink and hook up are amplified within the Greek community. If members of Greek life can share their personal stories and fight against the status quo, then the broader Madison community should be able to do the same. But a desire to change a culture simply isn’t enough.

To really change a culture, we must look to change each individual. The video was the first step in a process to promote awareness and education about sexual assault. It was meant to reach individuals that may have been unaware of how prevalent and pervasive the issue is on campus, both in and outside the Greek community. With the widespread attention the video has received, I truly believe we’ve increased awareness on campus and beyond. But the efforts cannot stop here.

It is not enough to watch the video and agree with the message. The most disappointing reactions come from individuals that support our mission and assume the video is enough to prevent future cases of sexual assault from happening. It won’t. This video requires viewers to actively listen to what is being said and to evoke a reaction that leads to change. If viewers simply agree with the sentiments that are expressed but do not translate their thoughts to action, then their complacency will only impede progress.

UW men’s org fights sexual assault by turning spotlight on themselves

The 40,000 people who have watched our video have directly confronted the issue of sexual assault on campus and are actively aware of its presence. It is now your obligation to take the next step, which begins with increased education. While it is a sobering reality that such a video is needed in the first place, I am optimistic that viewers will be encouraged to learn more about the issue.

Begin by educating yourself about the statistics regarding sexual assault on campus. Increase your knowledge by recognizing the very real presence of gender inequality and privilege present throughout our culture. Only then will you be able to participate in the conversation that our community so desperately needs. Only then will you begin to contribute to a culture that holds people accountable for their actions. Once we are all familiar with the rhetoric regarding sexual assault prevention, we can act toward building a culture that regards human beings as equals.

This video asks much more than to just hear our message. It asks for people to look inward and critically adjust their thoughts, character and being. As a community, we will need to start focusing on bettering ourselves before we can improve the community around us. In the end, it will be the cultivation of compassion, empathy and kindness that will rid our campus of sexual assault. These traits will foster the respect that all individuals deserve. If we are really going to change the culture on campus, we must begin by changing ourselves.

Hasan Nadeem is a senior majoring in biology and economics. He is also head of Greek Affairs in WBTT.