Letter to the editor: Personal recognition is a pillar in any commencement ceremony

I’m writing to inform you that I am personally offended by the changes occurring at this year’s commencement ceremony. As a senior who has worked diligently for four years to receive a degree from this institution, I feel snubbed. The changes to these proceedings leave me feeling as though I, personally, have not earned my moment of accomplishment. However, I write this complaint not for myself, but for my mother.

In 2008 my father became the first member of his family to receive a bachelor’s degree. I distinctly remember my mother crying beside me as his name was called and he crossed the stage. It was a powerful moment when he, as an individual, was recognized for his accomplishments and a commitment to bettering himself. It was an incredible moment, and my mother has looked forward to my commencement ceremony even more than I have.

By conferring decrees en masse, you are robbing not only those who have dedicated their time, energy and financial resources to your institution of a personal memory, but their families as well. A graduation ceremony is supposed to have personal meaning for everyone in attendance. It is supposed to pompously celebrate the circumstances my classmates and I have worked so hard to achieve. Choosing to eliminate any form of personal recognition is a slap in the face. It stomps on the traditions this university is so proud of.

Having felt the need to add a “Why attend this ceremony if students aren’t crossing a stage” tab to the commencement website, this is undoubtedly a fact you have recognized and chosen to disregard. While it is too late for the ceremony to be changed for the Class of 2014, I hope that this most basic of Wisconsin traditions can be restored for future Badgers. I sincerely hope that Badger families will not continue to be robbed of this opportunity to see their children recognized.

Joshua Fuchs (jsfuchs@wisc.edu) is a senior majoring in economics with a math emphasis and certificates in environmental studies and leadership. 

[Photo courtesy of Flickr user Mark Riechers]